Best time to purchase an ATV?

winter months and then if any leftovers are still around they usually discount them out in the early spring. that's when dealers usually get in new stuff from what i've seen. you can usually buy used stuff from people cheap during the winter too up here. find leftovers if you can. my parent's have had good luck with there Honda Foreman 450 (regular shift not electric shift). Some things to consider I'd get a 4x4 and around 400cc. anything bigger you don't really need and it just uses more gas. anything smaller and you start running into 250s that are a little weak riding 2-up and mostly 2 wheel peel/happily stuck models.

thanks guys. I know I'm not sure if I should go ATV route or something like a Ranger route.

Basically it would be used for hunting...be driven through fields and on trails in the woods..possibly driveway plowing in the winter....Basically an all around outdoor in the fields/woods type of deal...might take my mom/sister on some evening trail rides,lol.

thanks guys. I know I'm not sure if I should go ATV route or something like a Ranger route.

Basically it would be used for hunting...be driven through fields and on trails in the woods..possibly driveway plowing in the winter....Basically an all around outdoor in the fields/woods type of deal...might take my mom/sister on some evening trail rides,lol.

yea i'm still going with what i said. UTVs are pretty nice, but you're going to pay more. also your ATV will be a little more manuverable through tight twisty trails getting into stands and over logs. UTVs are more comfortable with two people though obviously. also it's easier to hull stuff like several stands and other stuff.

For hunting and woods trail riding I would really lean toward 4 WD. Riding 2 up I would prefer 500 or larger cc engine. These machines are generally a little heavier and have more suspension travel which results in a better overall ride. The tires are more aggressive and larger. If you are even considering a plow installed you really need 4 WD to be useful.

I use mine as a tool much more than a toy. I have a 700 Polaris Sportsman which I use to tow a drag, roller, sweeper and mount a 30 gallon sprayer onto. Last weekend my wife logged 29 miles on the odometer dragging and rolling food plots. I would really consider power steering on my next purchase. I've had no problems with the 700 since a blown clutch the first night I had it. [warrantied factory defect ]

Brands don't excite me as much as good dealer service, parts availability and a fair price.

"Try before you buy" would be my best advice. What someone else likes you might not. Form your own opinions.

Lynn

Some good advice given here. Would agree on the 4wd and also on getting a bike in the 450 or above range if you plan to use it for working.

Dunno about New York laws, but something else you may want to check into if it is anything like here is that you can get a tax exemption for a machine used on a farm and not have to pay state sales tax.

Some good advice given here. Would agree on the 4wd and also on getting a bike in the 450 or above range if you plan to use it for working.

Dunno about New York laws, but something else you may want to check into if it is anything like here is that you can get a tax exemption for a machine used on a farm and not have to pay state sales tax.

Same here William if it's "...used predominately either in farm production or in a commercial horse boarding operation, or in both", per the ST-125 form. The farm has to also be considered a "working" farm or farmed land to receive exemptions, not just a parcel of recreational land. Not sure on the acreage requirement, but I do think that you need to have at least 10 acres of farmed land to get an ag exemption for taxes associated with the land.

I purchased mine in early spring, discounted left overs. I would also look at ground clearance. My dad and I run a spraying business, mainly native pastures/prairie. We pull 80-110 gallon sprayers with them. We run Artic Cats, because the ground clearance on them was the highest, which made ALOT of difference on keeping the maintence down. Don't really need skid plates if it sits high enough off the ground.

Now's probably the worst time. Like abrown said...when the next year's models come out you can find leftovers from the prior year's model. There's usually little to no difference in the 2.

As far as UTV vs. ATV...you'll have to decide what your primary use is going to be. As said already, there are pros & cons to both. ATV's can get you into, over, and under things off a path that a UTV won't do. With UTV's it's much easier to haul gear, stands, game, etc., not to mention they're safer and more comfortable for 2 people, especially when it's cold or wet. You have to decide what is right for you. Take some time and look over all your options on the net. When the time comes you can probably find deals on the net that you won't find locally. It may take a road trip to go get one. I saved ~$1,500 on mine doing that. A buddy of mine found a better deal buying basically the same UTV I have and save an additonal $1,000 traveling further away to pick his up.

My primary use is for hunting and my choice is the Polaris EV. It's the 1st UTV made that was basically made taking a UTV and modifying it for an electric motor as opposed to taking a golf cart & modifying it for offroad purposes. Polaris used their midsize UTV & converted it for an electric motor. Top speed is ~25...range is better than any extended range Bad Boy, etc. You have the option for rear wheel drive which is actually 1 pulling, positraction rear whell drive, or 4wd where all 4 tires are puling. You also have 3 speed options...low for towing, midrange for extended range, and high for speed. Suspension system is great. I want to be as steathly as possible going into and out of the woods, especially during spring turkey season. BTW...I've been through 4 different type of modified golf carts for offroad use. They all have maintenance issues, mainly related to the pounding they take.

One more thing...when the time comes that you buy yours, carry about 200' of rope with you. Why? It comes in real handy for pulling deer out of places you'd otherwise have to drag them out of.

• 2 weeks later...