Team 1....Choot'em Crew

jcwa

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had planned to work on stands and do a couple of other deer related things over the weekend, but dove season got in the way. We finally had some birds move in and it got really good really fast. Plan to get a few things done during the afternoons this week. About 99% of the bucks are out of velvet now, and the antlers are really showing the effects of the drought. Short tine length and very little mass. It may be slim pickings around here.

OK, I've done this the past couple of years and it's turned out to be fun.

So what do you think your odds are of getting a deer? A buck? A biggun'?

This year is going to be a bit different for me because of the extreme drought. I'm giving myself a 100% chance of getting a doe, and no better than 50/50 on a buck. I'm sure I'll see plenty of bucks, at least I always have in the past, but my standards are usually pretty high. With the conditions we've seen this year, I just don't think there will be very many bucks that make it into the shooter category for me. Most years I can also count on taking a management buck if I don't run across a trophy caliber deer, but this year it may be too hard to tell if a buck's antler development is the result of genetics or poor nutrition. I guess we'll see when Oct 1 rolls around and I start spending some time in the stand.

OK, I've done this the past couple of years and it's turned out to be fun.

So what do you think your odds are of getting a deer? A buck? A biggun'?

This year is going to be a bit different for me because of the extreme drought. I'm giving myself a 100% chance of getting a doe, and no better than 50/50 on a buck. I'm sure I'll see plenty of bucks, at least I always have in the past, but my standards are usually pretty high. With the conditions we've seen this year, I just don't think there will be very many bucks that make it into the shooter category for me. Most years I can also count on taking a management buck if I don't run across a trophy caliber deer, but this year it may be too hard to tell if a buck's antler development is the result of genetics or poor nutrition. I guess we'll see when Oct 1 rolls around and I start spending some time in the stand.

A doe...100%

A buck...I'll say 100% but my standards ain't real high :D

A big buck...Not really looking to shoot a big buck but there's always a chance!

Howdy Yall" !!!! lol

Finally got a day off and a little time to check in and see if I had drawed a team, and you fine gents are the lucky ones. lol

Been seeing alot of bucks and a few shooters (120s-140s) and can't wait to get in the tree!!!

7 more days and a wakeup.

Bout time we got on the same team Todd. lol

GOOD LUCK and GOD BLESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I've been out hunting elk and have had little luck getting into them, but I'm also a little concerned about prospects for deer this year as there have been few sightings on my excursions. Most of the bucks around our property have gone nocturnal after shedding their velvet and I think that if my luck on elk continues I may sit a few stands snugged up close to some of the favored bedding areas and try to intercept a big buck. More than likely the November rut will be when my deer hunting bears fruition. Good hunting guys!

I know how you feel. I've lost all of my older relatives over the years. It's never easy, but you might find it easier to be in the woods than you think. I went fishing just a few days after my Dad died, and at the time I didn't think it would be much fun at all. But as I got on the water, I started remembering all of the good times we shared and it really seemed to help. By the end of the day, I was sure that Dad was pleased with my decision.

Leaving at noon for the 4 hour drive out to the ranch. Weather is slightly improved - lows in the mid 50's and highs mid 80's. North wind today switching to light and variable for tomorrow's opener. I like the light part, but the variable may make it tricky. All of my bow stands except one are set up for a south wind. Looks like it will just be me and one other person sharing the 7000 acres. Hope we don't get in each others way! See ya' Monday.