Glaser round for home protection

philray

Has anyone had experience with the glaser round? Would it be suitable for home protection. It is not supposed to penetrate walls, but still have stopping power. I am considering getting some, but I am a little worried it will not do the job.

Right now I am using a 12gauge with #3 shot for protection, but the kids are starting to get older and I can't leave it loaded. I really worry about being able to load it in the dark and have it ready, if I were to be awaken in the middle of the night.

The Glaser "silver ball" round is filled with #6 shot rather than the #12 shot in the "blue ball" rounds. It gives more penetration where needed.

Just looked up the rounds for my 10mm. I can't see where a 115 gr, #6 shot-filled slug at 1650 fps could be anything but BRUTAL on the recieving end !!

If you shoot heavily muscled or excessively fat people with Glaser rounds at anything less than an ideal angle or in the cranium it probably won't work well. I use Winchester Bonded PDX-1. If I hit the assailant it probably won't go through. If I shoot wildly and miss I probably will penetrate a wall but then that means I shouldn't be using a handgun in the first place because my training isn't up to par. Try to train to the point that you know what a safe shot is and that you'll hit under pressure.