Should we hunt endangered species in order to save them?

Adjam5

There are 3 species that are just about extinct in their native countries, but are thriving in Texas. These are the Scimitar Horned Oryx, The Dama Gazzelle and the Addax.

Animal right activists have won the right in a long dragged out court battle to stop the hunting of these endangered animals(in their own country) in the US. It has been because of the US and Texas breeders that these animals all together have not...I repeat...have NOT become totally extinct throughout the world. Now canned hunts are not my thing, but some of these ranches that host these hunts, are 10,20 or even 50,000acre ranches. Which by no means is a slam dunk kill. But folks want to do this kind of hunting and I will support it. Hunting these animals provides a financial incentive to the ranchers to propogate these species. Hunters provide the demand for more of these animals to be bred. I remind you that Texas, has sent many many animals back to areas where they were used to repopulate/reintroduced areas where they once roamed. These animals flourish here in the USA. The animal rights folk think it should not be hunted at all here in the US...Even though it is the hunters dollars that have kept these species flourishing here.

There was a piece done on 60 minutes regarding this issue.

Check it out.

Can hunting endangered animals save the species? - 60 Minutes - CBS News

I was wondering what some of you guys thought about this subject. If the animal is a non native specie, it is considered invasive. This is always what these endangered animals were considered and were allowed to be hunted on private land like all other exotic animals.

The USFWS has goten involved and will be putting a stop to the hunting/killing of these antelope here in the US where they are thriving.

What say you?

will have to take a look at that when I get home this afternoon. I agree that hunting exotics in a large ranch isn't like an African safari, but also isn't shooting fish in a barrel either. Species that provide a big game hunting experience have proven time and time again to be helped by hunters in the past in the long run.

remember, the folks with the endangered species on their ranches are business folks. those animals are for sale. so, any country can purchase all the endangered species they want from those ranchers. to the rancher, the animal is only stock and represent his income. so, if those who want to stop the hunting want to purchase the animals, they most likely will be welcome to do so. but, if they just end the hunting, the rancher will most likely replace his herd with animals that he can sell.

This law change would have doomed the American Bison to extinction. Private ranches and utilization of a percentage of these animals contributed greatly to the re-emergence of the bison.

The numbers on these animals show, what the Texas ranches were doing was working. History has shown us this strategy has absolutely worked in the past.

remember, the folks with the endangered species on their ranches are business folks. those animals are for sale. so, any country can purchase all the endangered species they want from those ranchers. to the rancher, the animal is only stock and represent his income. so, if those who want to stop the hunting want to purchase the animals, they most likely will be welcome to do so. but, if they just end the hunting, the rancher will most likely replace his herd with animals that he can sell.

Yep. And how fair is it to have a law change reduce a portion of your inventories value to zero!

All I got to say is hunters as a general rule are or have been the top conservationist, and where animals are thriving in this country credit is due to the managers and hunters. Animal rights nuts in most cases have ideals that would doom the animals they claim to protect.

Far as the ranchers allowing hunting of those species, it is their right far as I am concerned to let a hunter hunt and kill what they are producing. Kinda like me letting someone kill one of my cows if I sell it to them, really not my business what means they take to kill the animal.

Kinda somewhat along this topic roundabout ways, heard that scientists are actually growing burgers now from cow stem cells, gone way too far in my opinion. Can only imagine with that what animal rights activists are gonna have to say about ranch/farm raised beef in the future if or when stem cell test tube beef hits the markets.

It's pretty obvious Texas farmers saw a business opportunity to get these animals and put in the time, effort & $ out of their own pockets to grow a huntable population. They didn't recieve any govt. $ to do it...they took the risk themselves. Apparently the efforts to protect these animals in their native lands failed...miserably! Now that Texas ranchers took the risk and expense to grow huntable populations of these animals, animal rights activist want to take it away. Where were they when Texas ranchers started? Why weren't they doing something back then? Maybe they were and they failed. Since Texas farmers took the risk to grow huntable populations of these animals they should be able to either sell them for hunting or sell them to anyone that wants to re-locate them at the going price that existed before all this legal mess started. Now animal rights activist want or may have already gotten their way to outlaw the hunting of these animals. The resourse created by Texas ranchers has now lost value. IMHO if they are going to outlaw the hunting of these animals, the ruling parties need to pay Texas farmers full value for the resourse. If they aren't let the Texas farmers continue with their hunting business plan...it's been working for the benefit of the animals.

It just amazes me that judges who make decisions, regarding these issues have thier head in the sand. They do not pay any attention to facts. Their decisions should be based on fact...not politics. It hurts even more to think the current whitehouse administration welcomes and legitimizes these nuts!