Forum 2012 Colorado Elk Hunt

texastrophies

don't be scared, jeff. i'll protect you. lol

He goes nowhere without that defender handy ... lol

i start blood draws tomarrow at 8am, then see a doctor, then a cat scan. i should be on the road to antonito by 10. in any case, i'll overnight in antonito at the narrow guage inn, then head for camp on thursday. my cell is 307-696-9482 but will most likely not work after 9am thursday. i've decided i don't need to leave at daybreak on thursday. i thought i'd leave at 7 or 8, get to camp by 9 or 10, and enjoy a bit of the heat of the day to work. sounds like it will be in the mid '50's, so that will be nice. i think with 4 hours i'll be done. we'll see.

You need a camp mule, sorry I'm not there to help, but have fun anyhow ... lol Take care of yourself my friend and try not to over do it ,, :)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My truck Hydro locked today. Luckily it was best case scenario and will be fixed tomorrow. This is becoming the most expensive hunting trip ever. So I hope it gets fixed tomorrow if not anyone got an open tent spot. One ring and injector failed and they said rear break pads are becoming bad so they are doing those for me too. I will make this trip if I have to hitch hike there. See you guys soon.

don't be scared, jeff. i'll protect you. lol

Man I feel so much better now. Thanks Steve. lol

Aaron, as far as I know I am still by myself in my tent if you do indeed need a spot.

My boarding spot fell through so it looks like my lab will be coming with me. I hope that won't upset anyone.

Planning on pulling out by around 4 tomorrow afternoon, stopping in Austin to eat supper with Jake and then hopefully pulling into Abilene to spend the night. Getting up early and hopefully pulling into camp by 3 or so. My cell is 979-758-2196 but like Steve said, once we get to camp don't expect to have service.

7 day weather seems to be holding at 55days and 35 nights. Ill put your numbers in my cell, feel free to add mine also, its posted on prev page. Still not sure if we will leave fri eve or sat morn, dawn was gonna get off early fri but the supt is coming to her school so I think that's out the window. We'll see. Have a safe trip all.

I'd like to say we will miss our friends from prev rt hunts steve k, and jim l, and luke, and them two young guys from PA who came over cottonwood pass in a blinding snowstorm draggin a camper with no brakes, and kathleen from ak who is a seriously dedicated hunter trader trapper and mom.

Miss you too my friend, I hope you and that lovely daughter of yours get to put the smackdown on a nice Bull. Has anyone tried Steve B.'s great Elk call yet ???? ;):)

Hope everyone is having a blast out there ... I did get to harvest a fall turkey with the bow, no deer as of yet. They just aren't moving yet.

jim, so sorry to hear about your cancer. the best treatment is in denver at the anschutz center. all the best to you, my friend.

only aaron hasen't reported in yet. he's got the best chance of success so we may not get skunked. it was a beautiful area (right, marty) just void of elk. lots of very old sign, but the elk went where they could eat. not sure where. maybe in a year or 2 we can do it again. very nice area.

i leave cheyenne for gillette tomarrow. i have that boy from catch a dream coming in for a gillette elk hunt. maybe we can find one or 2 there... lol. we'll live stream the hunt on the forums for sure.

yes, luke. aaron used my elk call and it worked. lol

I saw a bull behind Black Mountain in a meadow Sat night 20 min before dusk. One of the guys I was hunting with saw it too even though I was closer and started moving to it and he saw him and took off. He was about 1000yds from me and heading in. It was a rough road to get there but great set up. So at least I saw one. It was perfect weather when I was leaving and saw 10 mule deer. Perfect area just tough to find the elk. Maybe next time.

Had a great time with a great bunch of guys.... could not have asked for a better group. Elk were scarce and the temps warm. I can not believe that I ate so good in an elk camp. All the meals were fabulous!!!

Pictures:

Trevor, Steve, Aaron

attachment.php?attachmentid=12803&d=1351555476

Some stayed in "luxury style"...

attachment.php?attachmentid=12801&d=1351555434

...others in modest accomodations

attachment.php?attachmentid=12806&d=1351555539

camp dog Bella

attachment.php?attachmentid=12800&d=1351555402

view from camp up the mountain

attachment.php?attachmentid=12802&d=1351555456

Steve cooked salmon the first night

attachment.php?attachmentid=12804&d=1351555498

our fearless leader and "EVER OPTOMISTIC"..... Steve

attachment.php?attachmentid=12805&d=1351555517

Sunrise the first day at the top..... I almost died getting up there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12807&d=1351555554

on top looking over meadows

attachment.php?attachmentid=12810&d=1351555643

more meadows

attachment.php?attachmentid=12808&d=1351555570

looking down into Bear Lake from on top (12,000+ feet)

attachment.php?attachmentid=12809&d=1351555604

no explanation needed

attachment.php?attachmentid=12811&d=1351555949

Camp at night.... it was a welcome sight after longs days of hiking. Good food and warm tents & good friends.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12806&d=1351555539

good luck to all

the dog

Edited by pointing_dogs_rule