Forum 2012 Colorado Elk Hunt

texastrophies

Got an old Garmin GPS 72. Does not have the ability to add land/topo maps, but keeps me from getting off course and hundreds of points I can mark. Good question on boots, anybody use the Danner pronghorns? These swamp boots (muck) I wear around here are not going to cut it hiking.

Also good ideas on the MRE's. Some are actually pretty good, not something I care to eat, but pack easily for taking with you and heat up hot too with the heaters.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got an old Garmin GPS 72. Does not have the ability to add land/topo maps, but keeps me from getting off course and hundreds of points I can mark. Good question on boots, anybody use the Danner pronghorns? These swamp boots (muck) I wear around here are not going to cut it hiking.

Also good ideas on the MRE's. Some are actually pretty good, not something I care to eat, but pack easily for taking with you and heat up hot too with the heaters.

Dunno about the pronghorn's John, but I have had pretty good luck with danners in general, also had good luck with cabelas branded hikers and boots. You will definitely not want to plan to try to follow Steve wearing muck boots. A good hiker is a must have.

On the GPS, the topo maps and land ownership are nice, but if I thought this was my only hunt out west in the foreseeable future, I would not spend the money on a new one. If you want a topomap, go to www.mytopo.com and you can custom design a topo map in any size imaginable to carry with you or leave at camp as a reference.

On boots, yes you will probably be hiking. Probably in snow. Probably in 20 degree or lower weather. Dress accordingly. I would suggest some insulation of some type. Besides good optics, boots are probably the second most important item to keep your hunt going smoothly. Cold feet or blistered feet will end a hunt or make you miserable.

I will probably bring my hikers, my mid season, and my light pack boots. You can never tell in CO. I am already prepairing. I got on the treadmill last night with a 40lb pack and a 5 degree incline for and hour. I am going to keep increasing and when I get back to CO I will be hitting the Pikes peak trail.

ELK SCHMELK....................... I'm sick and tired of ELK. I'm tired of seeing them. I'm tired of smelling them. And I'm tired of eating them. They're varmits, kill them all. What I need is SEAFOOD...............preferably HALIBUT...mmmmmmmmmm.

media.nl?id=556&c=659425&h=7f16454dbf558e45df9a

One word of advice.............TAGS MUST BE PURCHASED BEFORE SEASON OPENS. Don't plan on showing up day two or three and getting a tag. Ain't gonna happen. Platoro is right around the corner rom here. Might have to stop in and say HI.

Still praying for you Steve.

I am interested in coming out. I would hope that I could get one or two of my buddies here to come with me to share the driving and fuel expenses. It's a long way from GEORGIA. I don't know if there is any room in the tents but we can make do some other way.

I am new to this forum but this has got my blood going.

Thanks for getting this together.

ELK SCHMELK....................... I'm sick and tired of ELK. I'm tired of seeing them. I'm tired of smelling them. And I'm tired of eating them. They're varmits, kill them all. What I need is SEAFOOD...............preferably HALIBUT...mmmmmmmmmm.

media.nl?id=556&c=659425&h=7f16454dbf558e45df9a

One word of advice.............TAGS MUST BE PURCHASED BEFORE SEASON OPENS. Don't plan on showing up day two or three and getting a tag. Ain't gonna happen. Platoro is right around the corner rom here. Might have to stop in and say HI.

thanks, jim. hey, do you really think i'll toil my life away all summer long in alaska, and not bring a meal of halibut and a meal of salmon?? c'mon now.....

(the crab and shrimp, naaaa. lol. if i have another great year, maybe some of that too. but no promises).

I am interested in coming out. I would hope that I could get one or two of my buddies here to come with me to share the driving and fuel expenses. It's a long way from GEORGIA. I don't know if there is any room in the tents but we can make do some other way.

I am new to this forum but this has got my blood going.

Thanks for getting this together.

Still early in the planning stages, but there's a possibility we could carpool. I'm just south of 20 in east MS. Not sure who will come with me as of yet.

One thing about it, 40 hrs in a truck with a guy and you'll either love him or hate him lol.

I had a guy go with me two seasons ago and had Danner Pronghorns and he fell down alot in the snow. I use Schnee's 10 inch Hunter with the bob soles. Also elk think nothing of leaving a spot that has high human traffic and moving 5 to 10 miles so get ready to hike.

SCHNEES Hunter II pac boots

So for planning purposes, we have to be there the 19th or sooner to purchase a tag?

You really have two options:

1. The OTC tags become available on July 10th. At that time you can purchase them online from CPW and they will be mailed to you. If you go this route be sure to do it early enough for you to receive them in the mail, (couple of weeks before you plan on leaving).

2. Arrive in Colorado on the 19th are earlier and buy them from a dealer in person.

Either way be sure to get the habitat stamp.

May I add... it will be to your advantage to bring along a pair of those knee-high rubber hunting boots also. And a day-pack of course. And a freighter pack in case you kill one and we cant get Sam to haul it out on his packstring($200.00). Just some thoughts from our past trips there. We'll prob go this summer a trip or two to fly fish the Conejos and do some scouting in case we also draw buck muley tags we put in for 3rd rifle.

Y'all would do this the year I'm not going to Colorado on a muley hunt......been the last three years, skipping this year to take the family to Florida. Now I'm sitting here wishful thinking! lol

I hope you guys have an awesome successful trip!

Let Colorado know that I'll be back next year!

Got my Draw put in for Mule Deer Archery. Put in for a Preference point for Elk and 2nd Season Tag will be on the way. Elk camp here I come.

Good luck drawing the deer tag. You are gonna have a blast hunting with Steve.

Don't know if I said it before, but welcome to the forums and Thank You for serving.

1. I bought three maps and ordered 6 more @ 9.00 ea. Am keeping one and sending one or two to Steve B. If you want a map email me your addy and Ill mail it to you. You can pay me later. I X'ed the camping spot on each map in orange highliter.

2. Steve B asked about firewood. I am taking firewood down there but not sure when. I may take it the weeknd before and cross my fingers or try to bring it along with me.I've set out firewood in the past and never lost a stick but one never knows. I have a lot of old wood in my yard and I accumulate it as I can and saw it for firewood. It prob would not burn for a week so we may have to buy a load or something. Still thinkin...

3. Steve B, on my facebook page in the picture section is good pics of the area, tho we will be camping about 200y east of where my camper is in the pics. Dawn and I were on a bluff overlooking the Conejos but we really need to be east of there some.

Edited by silvertip_co