Forum 2012 Colorado Elk Hunt

texastrophies

Saturday is last we can shoot at the gun club. I neeed to build steps for the camper Sat afternoon and Sun and do some re-arranging on the flatbed trailer. I hunt antelope Oct 6-12 tho I have to work days. Was figuring on loading what wood I have on the 12th after work then riding to Platoro to unload it the 13th. That'll help Steve locate the campsite too. Well if somebody dont steal it that is.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello guys,

I happened to stumble across this thread by total accident while looking for some info on CO elk hunting. After reading all 14 pages of this, I'm very interested to say the least. I sent a email to Silvertip asking for some details and he told me to post up here.

I didn't see a dedicated section for introductions, so I'll just include it in this post. I live in southern Oklahoma. I've been hunting all my life (I'm 32). My main hunting buddy was always my dad. I lost him very unexpectedly back in 2008. We made several trips to CO together over the years. The first trip was when I was 15. We've hunted around Pagosa, Delores, Cortez, & Montrose. In 2010 I made my first trip back without dad. I guy I work with went with me. We went in on a archery hunt in the area up above Dunton around Delores Peak. We seen lots of nice Mule deer (no tag), but didn't see a single elk. There were alot of hunters in this area and a few of the guys there told us that the farmers had already brought the sheep across the mountains (we didn't know what this meant) and it pushed the elk out. Regardless we had a excellent trip and enjoyed the camping.

I just got back back last week from Western Montana. I went up and hiked Glacier National Park. I'd never been there before and I wanted to see the Park. It felt very weird being in the mountains like that and not having a rifle. It is the most beautiful country I've ever been in and will hopefully be my home one day if I can swing it. After getting back home I still had a urge to go somewhere and hunt. It's still early in the year so I figured why not. I was thinkin about a 2nd season rifle hunt in CO, but didn't have anyone willing to go. As a pure stroke of luck last night I stumbled across this thread. It mentioned that you guys may still have a little space available. If so, I'd be very interested.....if you guys aren't against meeting a new guy. I have quite a bit of camping gear as well if there are things that are still needed. Stove, grills, propane tanks, tables, chairs, tarps, burners/cooktops, laterns. Dad and I accumated enough gear over the years to build a pretty good camp. I also have a large wall tent, but I've only put it up one time so I need to get more familiar with it.

Back in 2009 I got into the long range/Precison shooting scene. I needed something new to take on to help distract me from the loss of my Dad. It's become my main hobby thru the year until hunting season rolls around. Im certainly not a pro, but I've learned alot. I got into a small LR shooting club here in my state and we have monthly matches around the state. Here at my home, a Natural Gas company put in a pipeline next to my house. This was a huge Win for me. It created a 1,200yd shooitng range just outside my door. Before this, the longest I had to shoot on my property was 750yds. Im very fortunate to have this luxury and not have to go to public ranges. Being able to shoot out to 1200yds has got my confidence in my rifles and my skills high enough that I'm comfortable shooting deer out to 750yds if the wind conditons are in my favor. Last year I took a buck at 694yds and a doe at 734yds. I realize this type of hunting is considered controversial by some folks and I hope I dont upset anyone by telling about it. I'd love to take a elk long range like this. It is a goal on my list.

After deer season, most of my hunting is for coyotes. It's become a toss up of which one I enjoy more between coyotes and deer. Coyotes are certainly more action packed as far as the hunt goes, but a big buck stopping your heart for a few seconds in hard to beat.

Well, that's a little about me. Silvertip is suppose to give me a call this evening to chat with me. I'll be reading up on the forum also. It looks like a pretty good place. I'm a member on a couple of forums, but I'd never come across this one.

Hope to be chatting with some of you guys and maybe meet a few of you if the hunt thing works out.

Thanks,

Edited by Trevor300wsm

welcome to the forums, trevor. almost everyone on the hunt will be meeting, so you'll fit right in. the long range shooting will not hurt you a bit, either. i'm guessing zero at night and 30 degree days, with snow. dress warm and in layers. bring a good sleeping bag. i'll have a 2 burner gas stove, 2 lanterns, a small table, 4 chairs and pots & pans. bring your own food. i think we have room for 3 more cots in the 2 tents we have already. also, if the 2 farmers from iowa are still coming, they have a very large tent. not sure about them, though. my tent is 14 x 16 and i plan to sleep 3. anyway, we'll have room or can help you set up your own tent. i'll be in thursday morning and have my tent up by noon. maybe. i'm alone but think i can do it. we look forward to seeing you in camp

Just had a good long talk with Trevor. He's coming. I gave him all the info I could and ans his questions. I told him to call me anytime and Ill try to help him. He asked about diesel fuel in Platoro. I know that halfway and at the Cafe they sell gas and propane. Wasnt sure about diesel. If no one here knows Ill call down there this week and ask. ALso the last gas on the hard road is the Shell station on 17 in south end of Antonito just as you are leaving town. They have gas and diesel. I believe this thing is coming together good and we'll have a great time and hopefully get some elks. Cowboy778 and I are going to haul two pickup loads of firewood to the camp site on Oct 13. He's got a LOT of wood his wife and he said. I have a small pickup load. So we should be ok. I gotta get two large propane tanks for the camper and a new regulator and I should be ready. Ordered a new furnace for it and it shoudl be here by week end so thats the last job I got other than packing. Also I'll call Sam the horse packer guy soon and let him know 10 or 12 of us will be there hunting and we may need his services. Dawn and I are gettign really excited about elk camp. I'll try to check in here nightly now til we hunt, so please let me know what else I can do to help the group...

I have finally made up my mind I am going to winterize the trailer and take water with me. I should of listened to Charlie going up the mountain in the trailer so I will listen now. That way I will not have to worry about any pipes bursting. Going to get it done this weekend and hopefully fix my stairs too.

Clothing??? Steve B says: "zero to 30 degrees"... is this true? WHat type of clothing is best. Light and warm I would suspect. Does it all have to be camo? I love my carharrt bibs and they are warm and comfy. What about walking and getting hot and then sitting and getting chilled? Any help aon the best clothing woul dbe appreciated. Thanks

good luck to all

the dog

The 14th 29 is the low and 49 is the high. I try and layer my clothing, on the way out I carry my heavier stuff that way I don't sweat too much. Could not tell you on the Camo I wear everything camo but that is just me. I will wear a base layer with overalls and a fleece orange jacket. I have 600gram and 800gram layer boots plus pac boots I am taking just to be safe. I packed my hunting clothing today. I have 4 sets of gloves, 4 sets of base layers, 2 orange fleece jackets, 3 overalls - 1 light, 1 med and 1 heavy, 3 jackets - 2 med thickness 1 orange 1 light camo, and 1 heavy, 4 face masks light to heavy, 3 fleece hats 1 orange 2 camo the list continues but you get the idea. I plan on bringing some no scent laundry soap in-case I have to do laundry. Hope I helped a little. My big thing is scent control I pack everything in their own totes and throw dirt patches I bought some Pine ones but did not like the smell of it. I even throw my packs in the totes.

PDR,

In CO this time of year you have to be ready for any kind of weather. I don't think we will have to deal with "zero" temps, but you never know. However, you can handle most situations with proper layering without having to ship multiple duplicates of every item.

A good wool base layer (yes merino wool), a decent middle weight mid layer, and mid-heavy weight shell is more than enough. This should be plenty to keep you warm while sitting still, but you'll have to remove layers going in and out.

Gloves.....I'd spend more on charcoal handwarmers rather than multiple pairs of high dollar gloves. I've had many many different pairs of expensive gloves and none of them ever kept my fingers warm in cold temps except a pair of deer skin wool lined mittens. A decent pair of gloves and handwarmers will do fine.

Wool socks are much better than cotton/synthetic and will keep your feet warmer/dryer without having to wear heavy "PAC" boots. Also, dont forget some type of packable rain gear.

Edited by Trevor300wsm

Talked to my cousin in Coloradfo last night. He says he has everything that we might need for a camp. He wants to know how he (and me) can contribute to the set-up.... tables, chairs, stoves for tents, cook stoves.... anything. Please let us know what we need to bring.

Secondly, how are we running meals? As one unit or seperately? Me and him have no problem cooking and entire meal for the entire crew or does everyone want to eat seperately? Please let us know so that we can plan accordingly.

Last, I told him we would be able to drive to the "camp" or fairly close... is this true?

Thanks, Marty

yes, we can drive right up to camp. this area is also pretty good for handicapped folks, as road hunting is a real possibility. lots of elk taken right off a 4 wheeler.

in the past 40 years, i've had 2 experiences on this hunt where we got over 4' (you read that right) of snow in one storm, and plenty of cold. expect the worst and hope for the best. while i don't expect a big storm, it won't surprise me, either.

as for food, i'll have all the cooking gear and my own food. i'm still on a feeding tube, and eat cans of garbage. i can only eat a little bit at a time of real food. so, i guess everyone should plan their own meals and i'll have the cook tent. or, we can combine meals at will if we want. everyone throw something into the pot. i'll bring a few slabs of salmon for the "evening before" dinner. what i'm missing is a 4-6 foot table to eat from. anyone got an extra table they can bring? i'll have knives, forks, stoves, coffee pot & cups, and all that. i'll also have a big pot of coffee on all day. i have 2 camp lanterns and coal for the stoves at night. coal keeps the tent a bit more comfortable all night, then lights the morning fire with a bang. my truck is all packed and ready to drive away. guess i'm a bit excited. lol

my camp stove has a 6 gallon hot water tank on the side. i only have one 5 gallon water can but we can use river water for dishes and stuff, after it boils. i'll also have a large (5 gallon) bowl for sponge baths. then i also have 5 gallons of drinking water for coffee and drink.

the last 15 miles to camp is very slow and potholed, but o.k. if you just do 15 mph or so. i'll suggest good tires. my truck has new 12 ply.

I have a truck load of wood going down this weekend and have at least another for when I come down for the hunt. I can bring a couple extra chairs as well. I am bringing my trailer so if anyone needs to use the tub they are more then welcome. I will have a generator with 14gal of gas and 20gal of water. I have a complete set of cast iron if anyone wants to use it. Let me know if anyone needs anything that I can pick up for them since I am already here. In two days we can look at opening days forecast. Thurs is high of 52 and low of 29.

I will be bringing 2 6' tables as well, one of them has the plastic top so it can be setup outside. Also planning on bringing my makeshift BBQ pit/fire ring along with a couple of racks of pork ribs and some mesquite wood and oak. Also have a similar setup with tent/stove that Steve has (for a good reason).

Everyone needs to remember to bring their orange (hat & vest/coat) and also unless your license has a "V" printed on it, you must carry your hunter ed card with you while hunting.

If you have your Colorado 2012 Regulations you might want to take a quick read of page 13 as it has a lot of info on dos and don'ts. I am sure you can look it up online if you don't have a hard copy. Or if requested I can hit the highlights for you here.

Went to the range one last time this morning to foul the barrel and check my zero once again. This was the results of a five shot group.

300RUMnew600yds.jpg

Oh, forgot to mention that is at 610 yards. Just need to dial that range up a couple of clicks and over one or so and I think it will be fine.

wow, jeff. i completely missed the part about this being 610 yards. that's pretty sweet. i see a sick elk in your future... i'm hoping for an epedemic of elk getting lead poisoning.

Guys,

I have a ton of gear so if there is something specific we need let me know what it is and Ill see if I have it. I'll be bringing a lil bit of everthing with me just to be safe.

I'll be coming alone. My tent is a 14'x17' wall tent so if we need additional places to sleep, ill have it and a good stove. If we dont need it and someone has a open spot for me to sleep then I wont go thru the trouble of setting it up just for me.

I'll be bringing 2 propane tanks, a 2 burner cook top, cast iron, a dutch oven w/ tripod, a grill grate for the open fire (this is what I cook most of my meat on), a fish cooker, a small charcoal grill, couple of lanterns, a couple camp chairs, a small folding table, and plenty of food. Everyone is welcome to use anything I have. Ill try to bring some good cured oak wood, but how much I can haul will depend on the space I have. It wont be alot though. I'll have a good full size ax if we need to cut any dead wood.

If anyone needs a extra backpack, good sleeping bag, binoculars, or any other gear Im sure I have something. If anyone is needing a rifle to use, I'll have 2 customs with me (7wsm and a 6.5mm) with ammo and ballistics for both. Your welcome to any of it.

I dont know when everyone is arriving and leaving, but Im going to try to be in the area before noon on Friday. I'll have to pack up my stuff to leave late wednesday evening or early Thursday morning. Its a 13 hour drive for me and I have to be back for work.

Glad to see everyone is getting ready. I wont be able to haul wood down there Saturday with cowboy778. I re sent the gps coords to steve b. Please feel free to call or email me with questions. I plan on arriving noonish on the 19th. Have a safe trip. 719three6nine27one5 is my cell for last min questions, call anytime, if I don't answer please leave a msg and i'll return your call.

More info: get water from trail creek at north end of camp area, not the conejos river. Halfway and platoro have gas and propane at touurist prices if u need. Halfway is 6 mi south of camp, platoro is 9 mi north of camp. Showers are 5.oo at platoro store, 10.oo at the platoro cafe. Directions if u don't have a gps for the coordson page 2 or 3 are: take 17 sou out of alamosa thru antonito to horca. Turn rt on to fr250 at the red bear inn at horca. Go on fr250 approx 15 mi and start looking for valdez creek traihead on the right in a left hand curve. Go about another 1/4 mi and turn left onto a twotrack. Theres a sign that says "dispersed camping area" or somethin similarly federal. When u turn onto the two track go about 500y south to the camp site that the first arrival picks. :) it should be in a clearing surrounded on 3 sides by aspen. The two track is rutted with holes as cowboy778 will attest. If your rig is longer than 24ft be careful of the ruts as a long rig WILL drag. Good luck.