From Dirt Track to Desert Off-Road racing to Rock Crawling & Hill Climbs.

mortensen

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and lived around lakes so I developed a love for racing boats, more specifically, hydroplanes. I started with a Class A (step Hydro, outboard) and eventually built a 3-point hydro (2 sponsons and a prop). As I got older I developed interest in dirt track racing. I moved to Southern California some 50 years ago I used to drive up to Bakersfield (Oildale) and watch the midgets and outlaws. I have the upmost respect for these vehicles and drivers as most are racing on a financial shoestring, but love their sport and are dedicated. If your talking NASCAR your also talking dirt track because this is where it all begins towards NASCAR. Just ask Rick Mears, Bakersfield, CA.

Moving to the desert (Mojave Desert) was an eye opener for off-road racing, rock climbing-crawling, and hill climbs, and if you hang around long enough, someone eles will think of another event that will knock your socks off!

In most off-roading your racing against the elements and there's no end as to the amount of investment you can put into these vehicles and again it is a love and dedication these drivers have for their sport and I thuroughly enjoy watching them compete. Here are some video's of what's happening in the Southwest Deserts. Maybe you too will become hooked on these off-road events as I am.

Best in the West Desert Off-Road Racing:

Las Vegas to Reno 2011 Best in the Desert off-road race footage from Koenig Racing. The course is approx 550 miles, it was a one day race on Friday, August 19th. Best in The Desert has, in the last fourteen years reached for a new frontier in the sport of Off-Road Racing.

Mojave Desert 4 X 4 Off-Road Racing:

Extreme Hillclimb - Formula Offroad Matland 2012:

Hill Climbing and some Rock Crawling:

I've always had love for four wheel drive trucks. From the time I was a kid I thought I would be a monster truck driver when I grew up lol. I got into mud bogs and mud drags in high school, and had a blast traveling around a little and racing for a few years. As I moved up in classes it got too expensive and time consuming so I got out of it.

I don't get into NASCAR much anymore, but do love the dirt track. I've pitted off and on over the years for some late models and modifieds that my buddies own.

This is an age-old story Mudrunner. When we have the money to invest in a new hobby or whatever, we don't have the time, or if we have the time we don't have the money.

Then there's that little nest-egg you've been putting your money into in hopes of buying something for your pet project or hobby. Just when your ready to make your move and make an investment in that pet project, all of a sudden your house needs a new roof! Life isn't fair to some of us dreamers!