A golfer's dream

MCH

Last Saturday during a Relay for Life fundraising golf tournament, I stepped up to the tee on our 187 yard par 3, #8 hole with my 6 iron. I made an offhand comment about a lady sitting in a lawn chair to the right inside the treeline, hoping I didn't hit her and then proceeded to hit the shot of my life.

I hit a nice draw that slowly bent around toward the flag. It hit softly on the front of the green and then starting rolling toward the hole. Our group of six watched as the ball suddenly disappeared! I started looking around at everyone and we all start asking whether the ball had went in or if it had fallen off the back of the green. Suddenly the woman in the lawn chair stood up and started clapping. Needless to say, I threw my club in the air and proceeded to whoop and holler!

You see, all the par 3's had prizes attached to them, with the best prize being $10,000. Being local members of the course, we knew that #8 was the hardest and longest par 3 on the course so we all assumed it was the "big" hole. After a couple minutes of celebrating, we noticed the sign behind the hole and it said that I had just won a $750 Seiko Kinetic watch. LOL. It was the cheapest prize of all five prizes!

Although, I was a little bummed from not being "rich", I was extremely happy to have hit my first hole-in-one. To top it off, we had just started on hole #7 and I had rolled in a 20 foot "off the fringe" birdie putt and my partners and I proceeded to eagle the par 5 #9 hole! In other words, through our first 3 holes, we were sitting at 5 under!

We ended up at 12 under and tied for 3rd place. I've officially been nicknamed Seiko and I will always remember that day for as long as I live.

Congrats again Kevin!

Most golf outings that have those types of prizes buy hole in one insurance from a company beforehand. Those companies have strict regulations on which holes the bigger prizes go on. If you hit yours one the longest, hardest par 3, you might be eligible for the $10k. I know this from experience...I hit one a few years ago in an outing that had the hole marked as winning a set of Ping irons. Due to the length and handicap of the hole, the hole in one insurance company said I was only eligible for the 3rd best prize offered, which was a 2 night stay at a nice hotel.

Might be worth looking into...

Congratulations Seiko!!! Great shot!!! Sorry you didn't get the $10K but nothing wrong with the prize you got for the hole in one.

I still haven't gotten one. Closest I've been was having the ball hanging up right on the edge.

BTW...hope you held up the old tradition of buying the round of drinks on the 19th hole.