Colorado 2013

Tony

well i have been back for a while but my Colorado elk hunt was a partial success. i did not get an elk this year, but i sure had a great time at Estes Park Outfitters. we were in the elk each day and i had 3 bulls under 20 yards but just could not get the right shot. all week long i had 9 bulls under 50 yards and just couldn't seem to make it happen. it was a blast to see the bulls and cows up close and personal. the 2 successes i had on my trip was i summited Twin Sisters Mountain in Estes Park. this was my first climb over 11,00 feet. i made the summit at 11,428 feet on Aug 31st. here is a pic of me and Longs Peak in the background.IMG_1120_zpsd1cc59eb.jpg i then rested on Sunday driving through Rocky Mountain National Park and taking pictures. on Labor day Sept 2nd i drove to Leadville Colorado and arrived at the trailhead for Mt Elbert at 530 am. i started my climb at 6:30 am and made the summit of Mt. Elbert by 11:30 am. this was a huge goal of mine and a test of my physical stamina and altitude acclimation. Mt Elbert is the second tallest mountain peak in the lower 48 states at 14,433 feet. here is the hero picture.:DIMG_1160_zpsd3a0f3e0.jpg

these pictures are from our Crows nest we climbed to almost each day to listen for bulls to bugle. it was right at 10,000 feet. this view is looking towards the north and Estes Park.IMG_0017_zps8b130f01.jpg this next picture is looking west towards Twin Sisters Mountain. IMG_0019_zps05f65ae9.jpg i was lucky to make it out of Estes Park Thursday morning because that is when the bad flooding started. i got off the mountain, but Rt34 and 36 and 7 were closed. the only way out was through Trail Ridge Road through RMNP. i was headed to Moab Utah to see Arches National Park anyways. i had a great trip and a lot of fun and learned a ton about elk calling and how a 800 pound animal can be so dang silent in a forest.

• 1 month later...