Bowhunting in a strong wind

Trevor

Hunted in it a couple weeks ago with some of gusts that had to reach 40 mph. It was probably the most active deer movement night I've had this year. problem was I couldn't let go of the branch long enough to shoot even with a harness on.lol I got down and finish my hunt on the ground. A small tornado/funnel ended up coming through later that night a few miles north of the property.

Edited by WHISKEYSWAMP

i'll tend to hunt on the ground, out of a good blind, or from a heavy tree that will be stiffer in the wind. helps shooting low profile fixed blades or even better mechanicals that don't have much for the wind to catch. blazers or other low drag vanes help too. take off your quiver. also stabilizers that aren't bulky or that are designed to cut the wind like fuse carbon blade stabilizers help. finally a bow with a rock solid back wall that you can pull back into to help fight the gusts helps.

That's a bit high to be in a tree, I'll hunt in a 20 mph wind. If Im getting thrown around like a bull rider..Im down!

THAT Happened this eve!! I shoulda been wearing spurs...felt like I was riding a bucking bronc....I got down and hunted a ladder stand on the same set downwind, watching the top of the balsam my bone collector stand is in...the top of the tree was bending 8 foot beyond the base..... had a yearling doe run right between the tree and the legs of my ladder stand, with a one horned buck chasing her