PIC: EXCITING 1st few minutes of the first day !!

Strut10

Pretty intense 15 minutes or so !!!!!!!

One of our fellows hit a bear right after the starting bell on Saturday. It made its way into a 6 or 8 acre stand of overgrown spruce on a pretty good hillside. Lower limbs are about 18" off the ground so crawling is the only way through for a hunter. EXTREMELY dark in there at high noon on a sunny day.........not so much at 7:30 on a cloudy morning. We got the stand of spruce surrounded and yours truly (Whomper firmly in hand !!) goes in on hands and knees and belly to negotiate with the wounded bear.

Me and Whomper won.

We ended up with a 214 lb. boar and a first bear for VERY happy member of our group.

Sorry about the tailgate pic. I charged my good camera overnight and left it at home. All the field pics are on my phone. The gentleman who started it is on the left of the bear. The fellow who finished it is on the right. The bear went rightfully to the man who hit it first.

DSC03988_zps3c9aa328.jpg

whomper or not Don, I wouldn't want to be crawling through there. i'm sure you must have had some reservations once you crawled into that thick stuff. great job and congrats to both of you.

I will say that a gallon of Monster or Red Bull has NOTHING on the rush you get from being chief negotiator in such a situation.

Will also say to all the folks that EVER sneered at the OTPG and our choice of calibers that even Whomper does not feel any too big in one's hands when you can hear a bear grunting and growling somewhere in the 20 yard vicinity but can't see him.

My buddy who originally hit the bear is 60-couple and a SUPER avid hunter. This is the first bear he ever had a chance at. He is tickled pink as the rest of us were tickled pink FOR him !!!!

Great day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!