Which Sabot Slug do you shoot?

swohiodave

I started shooting Hornady SST's and they group well on paper at 50 yards but shooting 40-60 yards from a tree they seem to be shooting high, which is not unexpected as the box shows 2.7 inches high at 100 and 0 at 150 yrds. I not impressed with the damage done when my second shot grazed the heart. The deer went down but no blood trail at all. Thinking of trying rem copper solids from my Mossberg 500. I know all guns are different, I am just curious what others use.

The Barnes bullets are spectacular out of my muzzleloader. I would believe they would do well in shotgun ammo too. They are pricey but they perform second to none IMHO. I say that having used Powerbelts and Hornady SSTs from my muzzleloader. I am a big believer in Hornady ammo but didn't get the results I was looking for in performance from the SSTs. They were accurate though.

I usually shoot good old Winchester BRI slugs. I have shot them for years. They are heavy and slow, but I've never had an issue with them. Couldn't find them around town this fall, so ended up getting Partition Golds, which seems a little overkill for me since most of my shots are under 50 or 60 yards and I don't use a scope.

I usually shoot good old Winchester BRI slugs. I have shot them for years. They are heavy and slow, but I've never had an issue with them. Couldn't find them around town this fall, so ended up getting Partition Golds, which seems a little overkill for me since most of my shots are under 50 or 60 yards and I don't use a scope.

Winchester bought BRI out a few years back and I don't think there are many of the old BRI slugs around now. They have been replaced by the Supreme Partition gold.

I tried Remington Copper solids and didn't like them at all before I switched to BRI and then to the Winchester Supremes. I have made several one shot kills at over 150 yards

Lynn

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I think I am going to try the copper solids, Winchester supreme, and the new hornady American whitetail slug line that is coming out soon. I like the idea of the higher velocity but using ammo with some sort of tip makes me worry that I will not get the needed expansion at close range like I need. I am probably overthinking and will be ok with the SST's I am using now but I want to try something new.

Federal used to make a 1oz Barnes expander copper solid that is absolutely devastating on deer. The H&R Ultraslug Hunter that I use loves them with three rounds touching at 100 yards. The Remington Accutips are just as accurate, but never had the chance to take a deer with them. The trophy copper that replaced the Barnes expander looks pretty good too. Brenneke and Lightfields are also both pretty good slugs as well. Just my experience trying to find what my guns liked.

Archerjg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I spent a lot of time playing with rounds the past couple weeks. I think I'm going to try the Hornady's this weekend. Very unsatisfied with the difference between rounds I have been shooting. I had my 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with Nikon ProStaff scope dialed in with a particular brand and type of round, then for poops and giggles I switched to same brand [B]slightly[/B] different round and it was shooting 3 inches low at 50 yards. I expect 2 different rounds to be different - but not that different.

Edited by Stinger-Hunter