Making some changes....

Well, after about 9 years with my encore I am making a few changes with it. First off, I have shot open sights with it from day one. And while it has worked ok, I am finally going to be adding a scope to it. Probably going with the Nikon inline XR. Next, I am switching from pellets to loose powder. What I need to know is what all exactly do I need (obviously powder ;)) as far as accessories? I'll be using BH209. Any other tips will help as well, like what load to start with. Going to be trying some barnes bullets as well.

I don't shoot BH209 because I most of the time can't find it around here. loads by volume are a little less than the usual with say pyrodex pellets. when I got into it at first this is what they told me.....

Dan,

Thank you for the e-mail. Your Pro Hunter breech plug will work fine. I have attached our breech plug cleaning illustration. This is very important to maintain consistent ignition and accuracy. We have found that the CCI 209M primers give us the best results. Let me know how it works for you.

Best regards,

Don Luhr

Western Powders

....the attachment was a PDF basically saying to use an 1/8" drill bit turned with your fingers to clean the breech plug of residue. the flash hole is best cleaned with a torch tip cleaner. important not to remove metal of the breech plug and just get out the residue. that's all I got without having much experience with it. it is good stuff though.

I worked my loads up in 5 grain increments. A simple glass tube with graduated lines works fine for measuring volume, don't need any fancy measuring devices. I prefer triple 7 for my accura and the old black diamond still seems to give optimal results with pyrodex. Quick loaders that hold your powder, bullet, and a cap you probably already have, but they are great to have if you don't, some will not hold more than 100 grains of loose powder. For ignition, using win shotgun primers for the accura and percussion caps for the black diamond.

I have some blackhorn I bought to try with the black diamond and then found out it is not something I want to use with the black diamond as it is not safe.

You are going to appreciate having that scope, modern ml'ers are capable of reaching on out there.