Would you take a down through the back shot?

muggs

What's up ladies and gents!? It's been a while, but I have something I'd like to run by the RT community.

So, on Monday night I had three doe around my stand for about the last 20 minutes of legal shooting light. I had several opportunities at broadside shots at 30-40 yards, but since they were just doe and the light was fading I decided not to take any of those shots. I was actually planning on just allowing them to move out and then heading home. But then, one doe eventually worked her way to about 5 yards right in front of my stand. By this time it was getting dark, but I could still see my sight pins very well (have a lot of fiber optic bands that really do a great job of picking up light - even in such conditions). She was nosing through the leaves, looking for acorns and the only shot I had was a down though the back shot. I normally pass on that shot, but on her current course she would have walked right under my tree. This was so close and since the light was about to run out, I knew I would not have time to wait for a broadside shot. For better or worse, I convinced myself to take the shot and put some meat in the freezer.

With the angle, I knew I could get the arrow into her vitals, hoping to hit at least one lung and her liver. So, I took the shot. I have bright up arrow wraps, so I was able to see the arrow hit home and bury all the way up to the blazers. Unfortunately though, with no exit wound on her lower body I could not find blood before she hit a thicket which was about 60 yards away. My friend and I looked for over 3 overs and could just not find any blood etc... I checked the next morning at sunrise and nothing.

I'm really kicking myself for taking the shot and won't be taking a similar shot again. Really, I feel like I should have known better. But, in varied opinions, I know some consider it an acceptable shot.

My question to you all is, do you shoot down through the back, or is this a shot you pass?

JMO but like you experienced, it's a low percentage shot for recovering a deer. I know if you break their back they're not going anywhere but I still believe it's a low percentage shot. If you don't break their back there's no telling how your arrow might defect off their backbone. If you hit one lung they can go a LONG way. If you don't have a pass through, without a blood trail it's a very tough job finding a single lunged deer. Back in the years when bows were slower and aluminum arrows were the norm, I recall shooting 2 deer and found someone's else's broadhead in their backs while skinning them or cutting the backstrap out.

Using mechanicals - NO. Using fixed blade thick cut on contact broad heads - YES. I've killed a lot of them that way. Only one I lost was years ago when I used the mechanicals. I'll wait when possible but as in your described situation I would have took the shot. If you don't get a pass through - no blood. However, she's dead - likely within 150 yards of the shot spot.

Sometimes the heat of the moment and adrenalin take over and we do things we might regret. I have never taken that shot. I had an opportunity a few years ago on a buck chasing a doe and he stopped right under my stand. I passed on the shot but my mind really wanted me to take it. He never presented another good shot. I just could never stop him from doggin' the doe to give me a broadside shot.

Lesson learned. To me it's just not a high percentage shot but I know a lot of hunters have had success with that shot.

todd

I've never had a prob with that shot, put down a few that way, spined 'em and they dropped in their tracks. I usually will put in a quick follow up to make sure they are down A couple gave me a slight angle so I went just off center and blew exit holes like droppin your drain oil. I'll take that shot any day only with a Fixed Blade of course. The shot I WILL NOT take is a quartering to.

Im with fly here.. mechanicals, no way.. I'd wait for a quartering away shot, however I have spined one with a rage, and she dropped in her tracks..broadside at 15 yards, she ducked into it.

Edited by Mathews XT Man
  • Upvote 1

First off....WOW Muggs! It's good to see you around the forums again. Welcome back sir. Your Browns are playing well.

My answer will be similar to Fly's. I shoot CX 350 Maxima Hunters with 100 gr. Slick Trick Magnums and my bow is set at 62 lbs. These are heavy arrows with fixed broad heads. I wouldn't hesitate to take this shot with my set-up. I once shot a doe quartering to me. Arrow went in the front shoulder and came out the opposite hind hip striking several bones along the way. If my arrow will go the entire length of a deer, your shot would be no problem.

Since you didn't mention your poundage, arrow weight or broad head I cannot answer your question with your set-up.

Edited by RangerClay