ML care during season

Turkeygirl

Wondering how you guys care for your ML during hunting season? When I'm done hunting, I un-load in the field, when I get home take it inside but then end up having to thoroughly wipe it down due to the condensation going from cold air to warm air. I read somewhere some say leave it outside. What do you guys do? Also when you shoot for ML prior to season, how many shots do you put through it before cleaning and what's your typical cleaning routine? End of season I deep clean and put the grease inside the barrel, during season I use the pre-saturated pads to wipe it out and just a lightly coating of grease,

Leave mine loaded until i fire them unless they get rained on or unless they get fired. The 2013 season my accura was loaded on the morning of the opener and was not shot until 13 days later on the closing afternoon. Had no issues at all and that was a fairly long shot. I have left them in the garage in the past, but been bringing them in the past few years.

When they have been shot and reloaded while hunting i will usually dump the load that night and give a "quick cleaning". Especially with the black diamond since i am still using pyrodex in it.

I will be cleaning my accura today and putting it in the safe.

Off season shooting, anytime, preferably not the hottest part of the summer. This year shot both guns a week or so before the season opened to make sure all was still good. I don't break them down between shots in practice sessions. Usually run a patch with bore cleaner followed by as many clean patches as needed.

Load mine first day of season - leave loaded till fired (or rain) just like William. At end of season I shoot and clean then store inside in a safe. I do not use any barrel grease but then I have a stainless barrel. When making sure my scope is on I load, shoot, run a dry patch, then a wet one (bore solvent) then a dry one, load and shoot again. When finished I clean thoroughly until opening day.

I use loose powder - prefer to measure and pack myself. Have heard a few people tell me that pellets are at times missing some sections lowering the number of grains a little. Also have heard more people telling me that their gun wouldn't fire when using pellets than those using loose. I have never had a problem with my powder igniting die to moisture and last year it was going back and forth between 20 degrees to 70 degrees for at least 3 weeks. At the end of the 3 weeks (and the season) I inserted a primer and boom - it went off just fine. The only problem I ever had with my ML was with a primer not going off during target practice.

• 2 years later...

Old post but I didn't "care" for mine as well as I should have this week, I had a doe in my sights at 30 yards this morning and when I pulled the trigger it sounded like a cap gun went off and a small ball of fire jumped out the end of the gun about 15' from the end of the muzzle. I took it out last Saturday in a small snowstorm and it must have gotten wet or condensated when I brought it back in and ruined the triple seven powdered pellets.. I guess we're always learning from experiences. Guess I won't let that happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

What I did this year was leave my ML hanging in the garage with the triple 7 pellets and bullet in it, took the primer out. If it was really snowing, I tried to protect it while hunting and wipe it off in the garage. Yes, if you bring it in the house, condensation will form. I did unloade it and wipe down the inside of the barrel after it had hung in the garage during several days of bitter cold and snow. I thankfully had no misfires and how I treated t must have worked well. Yes, having a primer not go off was my concern for sure but it went 3 for 3 on deer this season.

• Upvote 1

Like others have said I keep mine loaded and won't dump the load and clean everyday if I didn't shoot it. The longest I have went is one week, but it wasn't wet out during the week and it worked just fine. That was with triple 7 pellets. Just keep it at a consist temperature to reduce condensation.

If it rains or snows while I'm out with it I will dump the load and clean it. I still use a T/C Black Diamond and that thing is kind of a pain to clean and the primer is exposed to the elements. In the snow or rain I wrap plastic wrap around the top of the scope and in front of the trigger guard to block the primer from any wetness from rain or snow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

If I fire and do not reload, I take it home and clean the barrel and lock (this is a flint gun) like I would at the end of the season.

If I fire and DO reload, I ain't burning that one off into the dirt to clean.  I swab the barrel above the load with Windex soaked patches, then dry patches, then a WD-40 patch.  It can sit a week or two til season is over.  Then a thorough cleaning.