Let's meet up Oct 2017

silvertip_co

Had a short discussion with one of our Realtree friends and he agreed we should begin discussing another realtree forum ( et al) get together to hunt elk in Colorado in Oct 2017. Maybe 2nd rifle. Or maybe 3rd rifle. Not sure where yet either. Some OTC bull unit would be good. I'll be long retired and back from a 6 month road trip to Alaska by Sept 2017, so Im game for any suggestions. Open to all and to all ideas as we have plenty of time to plan. We camped in Taylor Park in 2006 and in Cement Creek in 2010 ( I think) and in Platoro in 2012(I think it was), so maybe some diff unit this time. And naturally the wearing of Realtree camo is strongly urged

Edited by silvertip_co
sp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A friend thinks we should go to unit 53, but he wont post here, so I am. Also I'd like to add unit 80 as I think both are otc bull. Its worth researching and getting comments on certainly. Tho I like 2nd season I think 3rd rifle is also worth considering.

Edited by silvertip_co

Third season sounds interesting. I will have 11 deer points next year and would def. consider do a combo. Unit 53 could work on that, last year it took 10 points for a NR to be guaranteed a deer tag. It is a unit I have been looking at for deer anyway, along with 66 & 67, but don't think I have enough points for a third season tag in them.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You might want to think about an archery hunt.............

President Hillary is going to have our guns by next fall.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

we'll try to prevent the Billary thing at the ballot box in Nov. Also I been looking for an excuse to eBay two Mathews bows. Maybe a good idea you had JJL.

Edited by silvertip_co

• 3 weeks later...

Charlie: Kebler Pass Rd will be closed in winter... Dec through April probally. Use maps and Acme mapper to identify your roads and high lakes, and post your data so folks can see your thoughts.

http://images.summitpost.org/original/231336.jpg Photo of East Beckwith Mtn from Lost Lake Slough Campground. Taken Sept 29 2006 * Notice the snow

Here is a link to Lost Lake campgrounds I believe you are referring to, off Kebler Pass Rd CR 12, the road to the campground is FR 706 http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/h...TELPRDB5368213

There a few photos and a detailed description in the link as well as directions to get there. Fishing opportunities are there also. This would be in Unit 53.

Edited by Hungry Horse
added web links and photos 8-25-16

http://www.toprut.com/hunt/colorado-elk-unit-53/ Good data for Unit 53 elk hunts, shows all the seasons Muzzy through 4th rifle, elk numbers killed of bulls and cows, % success and numbers of hunter per season. Excellent report for several years. Submitted by Hungry Horse

I am going to suggest you folk who want this Realtree gathering in 2017 get serious and start planning, gathering information, find campsites and do some scouting. It is never to early if you want to be successful at this gathering. Respectfully submitted... HH in Pa

Edited by Hungry Horse

http://www.mytopo.com/products/hunt-...ies=DEL&gmu=53 Unit 53 boundary line in dark purple...also showing the West Elk Wilderness in dark green color, BLM in yellow, light green is public, white is private. Unit 53 and Unit 54 comprise most of the Wilderness area, with Unit 521 bordering it on the north and northeast. Unit 521 holds a portion of the Ragged Wilderness area. That irregular purple colored boundary line in the lower right side of Unit 53, is the Unit line between Unit 53 and Unit 54. See Colorado regulations for unit description for boundary lines. Click on the link, once it loads, click it again for more clarity. Hungry Horse Edited by Hungry Horse