Let's meet up Oct 2017

silvertip_co

54 is otc bull this yr for 2nd and 3rd rifle, book came in mail today. of course w otc tags you could camp in 54 or 55 and hunt 54 or 55. steve's guys got that  bull in 55 out of cement creek when we were in taylor park that yr.   them two units are as central as you can get. and we can get ammos at gene taylors :) . As info solid fluorescent pink is legal now. my wife wants to go back to fox creek in 81 to get that bull she couldnt get a shot off at in 2015, but im sure she ll go wherever we pick. 

Jeff: You are welcome.   Rt 133  from Carbondale  is a nice  drive,  passes through some good hunting  locations. Enjoy the videos    www.youtube.com   has some good videos.   www.vimeo.com  also.   Just use the search box to find what you want.   Charlie:   Thanks  for the updated  info on Unit 54 and the new pink color.     Unit 54, 53, 63,  55, 81 ...elk are where you find them.  That elk  might have been taken in 4th season,   but don't tell Dawn.  Let her keep  her hopes up !  HH     

I really like the looks of u53 on topo and satfoto and all them lakes. Its in the West Elk Mtns west of Irwin. Irwin is in 521 but its OTC too and has a campground. But I'll have to wait til the 9+feet of snow is gone to go up there and explore. The place is 35mi straight west of Crested Butte on the map. 

u81 I know a lot better and have been most places in it. We wouldnt have to camp low east of Platoro where we did before, we could go up higher over La Manga Pass to Trujillo Meadows Campground and camp. Thats a huge camping place and easy to get to w big rigs or small. Incidentally BLM campgrounds that are OPEN in 2nd and 3rd rifle do not charge a fee but I think the 10 or 14 day limit still applies. If yall wanted to branch out from there you can go to Platoro or Fox Creek or Osier or creep along the edges of the Tierra Amarilla Grant fence. Just so may options. u81 is like having the whole state to camp and hunt in, its so big it boggles the imagination, and spreads the hunters way out.  And the food is cheap and is really at the Osier train station. Or you can drop down into Chama NM and eat.

Or we could go to 55 and camp up at Spring Creek, or 54 over toward The Castles.  We luv our Gunnison. 

I just down know 

Too late to edit,  but  it is a old thread from biggamehunt.net forums talking about Unit 53.  Ex biologist  is a biologist  for Colo FWP now.  You will find him posting on www.24hourcampfire.com/  forums  now.  Sounds like deer numbers have fallen since the thread. This winter Jan Feb  2017,  is deep snows in Unit 53, Unit 54,  so possibly a larger winter kill due to deep snowfall.  Elk will survive better than the deer. I did see  on Facebook  that Colo FWP is feeding the game in the Gunnison Valley  

In all honesty...  I do not see a  Realtree  gathering happening this fall.  There is still time to obtain OTC elk tags for Unit 53 54 521 55 63  but  I do not see the interest from the membership.   Good Luck  to all.  

You are welcome to any videos or web links I have added to this thread.  I am allowing this thread to die here  and probally will have no more input.  

HH  Richard

http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU.aspx

From Colorado FWP,   Elk Hunting University,  each Chapter  has many lessons,  Click on each Chapter,   and then read the many lessons concerning elk hunting.  A excellent learning tool  for all elk hunters offered  by Colorado FWP.   If you are a first timer or an experienced hunter,  a very good read.  

HH Richard    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9IqpfuPxEo

A  backpacking video  of  Unit 81  and the South San Juan Wilderness.  It is a beautiful area.  See the panaromanic shot at 12:58  through 14:40,  beautiful country !  They saw 4  elk at 10:45.  They had hiked to  Conjeos Peak and  the Continental Divide.  If you have a Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer  you can find the lakes they have passed.  Blue lake. Glacier Lake,  Tobacco Lake, Bear lake  and finally Roaring Gulch.  They are above  Platora Reservior,  a  hunt location of the Realtree camp in 2013  I believe.  Just a video for a visual  of the country in Unit 81 above Platora reservoir.  I  found this on  www.youtube.com/        HH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1WFTUOcENI

The Cumbres Toltec RR  from Antonito Colo   to Chama NM.  This is in Unit 81 in the southern area.   It is a long video 1 Hr 33 min.  This will show you the sagebrush prairie  to the high mountain passes.  I am not certain if the train has stops where you can leave the train and hunt & hike  and be picked  back up days later,  as on the Durango Silverton Train ride from Durango to Silverton. Sure does pass through some pretty areas.  HH       

Ok, watched the video.  My  findings... Engine 484  leaves Antonito Colo, 000-14:00 all sagebrush prairie, 14:45  Aspens begin, 22:00 to 27:00  1st stop Sublette for water stop, 30:20 valley  view, 33:30 High point  of train ride it seems,  nice views, 39:44 to 42:26 nice views,  43:59 to 44:35  Tunnel, 45:12 nice  views, 46:40 valley view,  47:22 valley view, 49:58 views open country, 51:10  Osier station  2nd stop, 55:40 snowing at Osier, and seems as the  484 Chama  bound train pulls  out and video maker  get on the rear of the approaching Antonito bound train,  1: 01:40  we have a train pull out from Osier and I think it is headed  towards Antonito Colo.  But  at the end of the train ride,  Engine 484 pulls  into the engine house,  but  where?  Little confused !  But the video allows  you to see the terrain along the Cumbres Toltec RR and of Unit 81 southern portion close to New Mexico.  If the train would stop and allow  you acess off the train and a later pick up, days later,  that would be nice  for a elk  hunt in Unit 81.  Of course...  you would have to be prepared to bivy camp while hunting.   Just  my thoughts.  HH     

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoParksandWildlife/videos/

Hopefully a video of the deer and elk  being feed to get them through the winter in the Gunnison River Valley.   Scroll down to the Bobcat being loaded  beginning  of the 2nd line.  It did not load the specific video,  but rather the whole video page .   Enjoy any of the other videos.  HH  

Edited by Hungry Horse

https://www.facebook.com/Elk101/videos/

A very short video  of the effectiveness of the frontal shot  on elk,  if  close.   This could be  YOU !  

Again all the videos  loaded again,   click more videos,  and see the  frontal elk shot video below.  HH   video credit  elk101.com/   Enjoy all the videos.  A  broadside shot  is best,  but sometimes just not available to you.  HH

Edited by Hungry Horse

Jeff    I agree,   would be a great opportunity to hunt elk or deer off the train, if it passes through some good hunting lands.  On 24 hour campfire myself  and a few others had discussed the chance to hunt the Weminuche  Wilderness  Unit 75,  off the Durango Silverton train  ride.  They are geared for stopping at  Needleton and Elk Park for hikers and hunters I understand.  Your hunt gear goes in the cargo car, and I understand  the elk, if taken needs to be in coolers ( elk meat ) and placed in the cargo car also.  No blood from the carcass is allowed on the car floors.  Ex Biologist  I refer to in the earlier posts,  and I,  had a discussion on this and the %  of harvest success  on elk  a few years ago.   I did read a article from a Philadelphia fireman who had success bowhunting elk this way off the train  and I have a friend from Bayfield Colo  back many years who  shot (  bowhunt )   his mtn goat that way.  Said it was a tough hunt on the 14,000 ft  Mtns.  I think killing it was  not all that hard... getting it  out  was !    I  PM'd  the Philadelphia  fireman about his hunt   but  he never replied.  He did kill though.   Thank  you for the reply,   it seems quite lonely on here  !   :  (       HH