Bird down!!

Turkeygirl

I fell in love with turkeys when I first started hunting...after squirrels, a turkey was the next think I harvested before deer. They are such a challenge, but they are beautiful, unique creatures. Well it has been several years since I've tagged a bird. Declining populations, loss of land to hunt, loss of time to hunt because of work or college has definitely influenced that. Well yesterday AM, went just up the road to some property I got permission to hunt, as soon as I got out of the car they were gobbling. I snuck up this hill to the edge of a meadow and within a 100 yards on the other side there were at least 2, possibly 3 birds roosted and gobbling. No decoys out, I set myself down on the edge, with the terrain to my advantage. Below the birds was another small meadow, separating me and that meadow was a slope of trees then the meadow I was at had a small slope in it. Well once sun was up, those birds flew down into the lower meadow, gobbling. I gave some soft yelps and they made their way right up to me. I heard some spit n drumming then a red head bobbed over the slope. He came foreward and exposed his neck, I put the bead of my Winchester SX3 on his waddles and BOOM. Down he went, woohoo! Got a nice 15 pound jake, 4 1/2" beard, 3/8" spurs. I could not be happier! I was literally back home before 6:30am. I don't think I've ever had as quick a hunt, not to mention one that went how we'd all dream they'd go! Now my question is, will these birds still be in the area and be huntable? Saw one of them fly down in the woods below me. I did not go out today. Wondering how long to give them a rest and try again for my 2nd tag?

• 2 weeks later...