funny how

wtnhunt

You walk to your stand in the dark 45 minutes before legal shooting light, an hour and 15 minutes before sunrise. You get busted near your stand in the dark and have deer blow and stomp and take off in all directions. Then get in your stand still too dark to see the deer only to hear deer just minutes later come back walking from a distance and getting fairly close. You know there are deer close but still too dark to see them or not quite light enough to make them out in the woods. You never hear them leave and as it gets light they seem to have just disappeared. Saturday was one of those mornings here. Figured it was blown when i got within about 10 yards of my ladder stand but ended up going ahead and hunting that stand anyway. Ended up seeing quite a few deer after it got light but no shooter bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

lol, yep.  Had some munching acorns under me not long after I posted this.  Sounded like a bunch of pigs.  Had a couple within feet of my ladder stand could make out the bodies and see they had no antlers, dunno how they did not hear my heart beating or my watch ticking because I could hear it.

45 minutes ago, Strut10 said:

A lot of times a good pair of binocs will give positive I.D. on a deer that cannot yet be seen in the dark with the naked eye.....................

Absolutely agree.  Problem is when they are nearly under you or me at least I have trouble reaching for the nikons for concerns of them seeing me.  Been stuck holding binos for a nosey doe I was trying not to educate too many times to count.