So where are you at in your season ???

Strut10

Our archery season closed yesterday.  I was fortunate enough to get an opportunity at a 3.5 or 4.5 year buck and connected.

Monday after thanksgiving, our firearms season opens.  I'll celebrate that by going to work................same as the last 29 openers............ but I have two doe tags.  One of those may go to my little killer girl, Pickle, depending on whether she gets a buck or not.   We'll give it a go on the Saturdays.  Then the day after Christmas, our late archery and flintlock season comes in.  Can't wait to take at least one doe tag out with the smokepole in hand !!!!   I've become quite addicted to the flintlock thing over the last few years............  

Killed a decent 8 with the muzzleloader this past Friday that I am guessing was a 3.5 year old, probably just shy of 200 lbs on the hoof.  I am allowed another buck, but realistically chances are I won't ever kill another. Would have to be bigger than anything I have on the wall and I have seen no evidence there is such an animal around this year.  

I may try to go out with the crossbow a few times during the gun seasons.  Might lower my standards with it, but think I would rather sit with something I can reach out on the yotes with.  I think i might get more enjoyment out of whacking yotes, much less work for me too.  lol

So my focus at this point is all about getting my wife on a nice deer and getting the kids out.  Still in our muzzleloader until Friday, rifle opens this coming Saturday and will be open until January. Doe numbers look a little better this year, but I won't be taking any, allowed 3 does every day.  Would let my 11 year old shoot a doe though.  Gonna try to get our 5 year old son out for a few sits just to watch or would shoot something with him with me if that opportunity presented itself.

Well Don...thanks to a great hunt this morning, I'm tagged out in the state of Missouri now with my limit of 2 bucks here.  Killed the biggest 8 point I've ever killed this morning...scored 161 3/4".  Story & pics to come later when I get home.  As you know, I bagged my other buck (11 point) on Nov. 5th toward the end of the 1st bow season.  Didn't have a buck tag I could use until the gun season opened this past Saturday.  In MO we can only kill 1 of our archery bucks before the gun season opens and the limit is 2 bucks/year now.  A good friend of mine arrives this evening to hunt for 5 days.  Looks like I'll be doing some chores while he's here hunting.  There's always things to do on the farm.

Got a 1.5 year old doe my first day hunting in KY during archery season. Got a nice mature doe in IL in October during archery season followed by a 1.5 year old 6 point a few days later. Then connected on a nice 9 point during the gun season in KY. Still have a buck/doe tag for IL and gun season starts Friday. Also have another archery tag for a buck/doe in IL. We can get two bucks per year in IL.

7 hours ago, wtnhunt said:

Passed up an opportunity on a nice buck this morning that was probably a wallhanger for me, would have ended my season though since I am allowed 2 bucks.  My wife has not gotten one yet either.  Hoping it was the right move and that my wife or my 11 year old has an opportunity on the deer.

You are a strong man, William !!!!

10 hours ago, wtnhunt said:

Passed up an opportunity on a nice buck this morning that was probably a wallhanger for me, would have ended my season though since I am allowed 2 bucks.  My wife has not gotten one yet either.  Hoping it was the right move and that my wife or my 11 year old has an opportunity on the deer.

not sure I could do that, William,  last time I did that, so my daughter would have a chance at him...it went over the fence to the neighbors and got shot.

12 hours ago, Strut10 said:

Hopefully it ends up on your wall anyways !!!!

Hope someone in our family sees him.  Nothing would make me happier than to see one of the girls tag him.  Like I said in the other thread I started with the pics, I just don't think after getting a better look that if I see him again I can let him have a pass again.  Good thing the wife is off her work the rest of this week and all of next week, will let her go until she is sick of hunting or until she gets a good one down.  If we can get someone to watch our son this weekend I might get out for a few sits.

Gun season opener tomorrow. Taking the TC Omega Z5 out instead of the 20 ga shotgun, just because of the accuracy on paper of the TC is impressive. Really after I got the 6 point with bow did not do much more bow hunting so I still have a a couple tags to fill. Found out today a record book type of deer is in the area, saw the trail cam pics myself....14-16 point, 20-24" spread by the looks of it and G3s around 12" with split G2s. Once in a lifetime deer for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in a long time I am tagged out on bucks.  Was blessed to take one with the muzzleloader early on in November and then kill one with the rifle this past Saturday. Been a long time since I have killed two bucks in one season, last rifle buck was 2009.  Been a few seasons in between that I passed a lot of deer and ended up not taking a single one.  Really wanted for the wife to kill the buck I killed, but could not force her to go and she told me to shoot him if I saw him.  He was a good deer, drove right up to him and had a few inch drag to get him in the bucket.;)

20161203_084355.jpg

A boy up the road on one neighbor I talked with had been hunting pretty hard and he had been seeing a number of vehicles coming and going driving the gravel road on the property next to the farm he is hunting.  People driving slow and he was sure they were looking for deer. That farm is a little over a half a mile away as a crow flies and been a lot of shots from that direction this year.   

On to whacking yotes now(will have only the rock river in my hands from here on), and getting my kids out when we have fair enough weather for them to handle. Think our 11 year old is finally feeling better enough to give it another shot.

Going back to Missouri tomorrow and my son is coming to bowhunt through the weekend.  Since I'm tagged out on bucks in MO, I'll be the cook and hope to help track and drag a deer if he kills one.  The Mississippi rut should be cranking up toward the end of next week.  I'll start getting fired up about hunting here in MS after I return from MO.

• 4 weeks later...

Still have January to go here in MS.  Weather has been terrible since the cruising phase of the rut in MS cranked up.  Rain, fog, temps up to 80 and a lot in the 70's made for mainly nocturnal rutting activity.  Oh well...ain't over till it's over.  Temps fall back in the 20's & 30's for lows later this week.  I'll give it another go when the temps are more conducive for daylight deer movement.

• Upvote 1

Just realized that today WASN'T our last day.  It's NEXT Saturday..........................

This morning was ideal for the flintlock................... 7 degrees, very slight SW wind, inch or so of snow......................  But I ended up needing to take my mom to the Dr.  So I packed it in for the day at 8:30 this morning, seeing nada..............

Good luck filling that last tag Don.  Our general deer season concludes today.  I was still allowed 3 does a day, but I have not been out to hunt deer since I killed my second buck.  I have seen pretty fair number of does while out trying to widdle down the beaver and yote population.  We do have a late season 5 day antlerless hunt this week on private lands, I would rather whack a few yotes at this point.  Probably gonna take my youngest daughter this afternoon if she can stand the cool temps.  We have a late youth hunt next weekend, I will get her back out for.

Done and over with.  Tag soup here at home but filled my buck tag in Colorado.  There's two weeks of muzzle loader season left but I don't hunt it.  Time to get the bass boat cleaned up and gear ready for my sons high school fishing tournaments.  First one is this Sunday!