The Great 8

Rhino

Thanks to Cory (Dawg) I can share an iPhone field pic.

We've been getting this buck on a couple of cams since mid October.  When the big 8 was mentioned we all knew which one it was.  I arrived back in MO Sunday afternoon.  My buddy, who'd seen this buck twice this past week killed a real nice 12 point Sunday afternoon so he was done for the MO gun season.  We decided to make a social hunt (as we call it) hunting together in natural ground blind spot he prepared.  Saw some younger bucks, does & fawns then at last light the big 8 appears...~550 yards away.  Way too far for me to even think about risking a shot...especially him.  He works a lick branch & leaves the cut corn field.

Early this morning my buddy had to go home so together, looking at the wind change we formulate an afternoon plan for me to hunt the big 8.  I opted to see my buddy off before heading out around 6:00.  I didn't want to disturb the afternoon hunt area so I headed toward a stand in the timber ~3/8 of a mile E of there.  I'd have to cut across a cut corn field to get to it so my plan was, check the field and wait for any deer there to leave before heading to the stand.  There's a few young bucks messing with the does in the cut corn so I decided to ease into a spot and sit by a tree (turkey hunting style) and wait for them to leave.  About 10 minutes passes then...the big 8 runs a doe into the field.  I'm wide eyed now!  By the time I can pick a hole through the brush he's about 300 yards pushing his doe around in circles.  He moves to push a young buck off and his doe runs up the edge toward me and cuts into the woods.  Here he comes...closes to ~225 yards & pauses where she went in.  My shot rings out, he does a 180 to run off.  I fire a 2nd round and he does a 360 and falls over.  Both shots hit home.  No ground shrinkage here...as I walk closer he's seems to be getting bigger...bigger than I thought.  Oh my...by far my biggest 8 point ever!  Needless to say, I'm still pumped!!!  Gross score is 161 3/4".  Longest tine is his right G2 at 14" even.  Left G2 is 13 1/4".  Longest main beam is 25 3/8"

I'll take better pics tomorrow and post them when I get home.

Name:  image.jpeg Views: 1165 Size:  52.5 KB

Edited by Rhino