New turkey hammer ready and waiting............

Strut10

It's been almost 3 years in the making......... I picked up an H&R 162 single barrel 20 gauge as a turkey gun project.

It's been out to Sumtoy Custom and been threaded and came back with a new tube (specifically for the Federal Heavyweight #7 shotshell) for those threads. It's had a Weaver rail installed and a Burris red dot attached to that. It needed a little tweaking on the lock-up of the action and that's been done. Stuck some swivels and a neoprene sling on it......

All it needs now is sighted in. Hoping to get that done next weekend so I can maybe get it out for the 3 day season coming up over Thanksgiving weekend.

_20161115_200436_zpsts7dzndo.jpg

Well...................... I just did a redneck sight-in on the new 20.

Almost ashamed of what I did.  Usually I get out the 30" paper and rangefinder  and 10" disc and calculator....................  It's sloppy wet out and I ain't in the mood.  So I put a green bean can (a whisker bigger than a standard soup can) out at 30 yards and shot it standing, offhand.  Annihilated it.  So back to 40 yards.  Crushed it.  Then to 50 yards.  Blew it off the log.  Then to 60 yards.  Blew it off the log.  So it's hitting well enough to go hunting.................

Oh.  By the way..................... all of those test shots were with 7/8 oz. low brass Winchester  #7 1/2's !!!!  The ones you get in Walmart for $24/100 pack.............  Pretty sure the 3" Federal heavy 7's will be sufficient to 40 yards..............

Rest assured.................... I will do this the proper way on a nicer day.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that's a SWEET rig. I have the exact same red dot scope on my 887. I was thinking of getting a Vortex Viper to replace it. Any thoughts on the Viper for quicker target acquisition.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-red-dot-6-moa-sight.html?_iv_code=VX-RD-VRD-6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CP-WiYbf6dACFY6Fswod__AISA

Edited by VermontHunter

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:34 AM, VermontHunter said:

Now that's a SWEET rig. I have the exact same red dot scope on my 887. I was thinking of getting a Vortex Viper to replace it. Any thoughts on the Viper for quicker target acquisition.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-red-dot-6-moa-sight.html?_iv_code=VX-RD-VRD-6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CP-WiYbf6dACFY6Fswod__AISA

I don't own any Vortex optics.  But I, personally, prefer a bit finer dot than 6 MOA.  Not saying a 6 won't work fine.  Just my likings.

I've never really run into much or actually ANY need for quick target acquisition with my turkey guns.  Usually a case of the gun being up and pretty much pointed a loooooooong time before the bird ever comes into sight.  The it's just a matter of a few fine degrees of adjustment when he shows himself and ................

Kinda went the other direction on last shotgun i picked up here about 3 weeks before the election. Picked up a youth model tri star raptor 20 gauge semi auto.  Now in recent weeks my youngest daughter is expressing she may have an interest in waterfowling.  

Not sure about choke tubes but hear very good things about these guns.  Guess i may need to start trying to learn something about birds. 

21 hours ago, Strut10 said:

I don't own any Vortex optics.  But I, personally, prefer a bit finer dot than 6 MOA.  Not saying a 6 won't work fine.  Just my likings.

I've never really run into much or actually ANY need for quick target acquisition with my turkey guns.  Usually a case of the gun being up and pretty much pointed a loooooooong time before the bird ever comes into sight.  The it's just a matter of a few fine degrees of adjustment when he shows himself and ................

The quicker target acquisition would be for waterfowl, my buddy likes to borrow my 887 for duck hunting with his boy. I have to take my Red Dot off for that and then in the spring I end up having to re zeroing when I put it beck on. I wasn't sure if you had any experience with the Vortex line.