2016 Buck in the books

dogdoc

I was hunting a new tripod stand I put up late summer.  It is between a doe bedding area on my land and a thick CRP area that is on the neighbors land.  I did not hunt this stand early season just waiting on the early rut when bucks were cruising looking for early estrous does.  The stand is in a natural funnel with a deep creed behind me which kind of forces the travel in front of the stand.  So I waited till the wind was just perfect.  I have to have a NW wind to hunt this and I thought it would never arrive.  Finally had a cool front move in with a NNW breeze so I headed out for an afternoon hunt.  I had a 3 day weekend and was going to spend the entire weekend out at my place.  I climbed in the stand at 2pm and within 30 minutes I saw a small doe traveling through the trees.  The trees are still full of leaves so visibility is very limited if the deer are in the trees.  At 4:20 I hear crunching of leaves just inside the tree line and notice a doe walking through a major trail about 10 yards inside the trees.  After the doe passes I hear something behind the doe and all I can see is a large bodied deer behind the doe with very dark stained tarsal glands.  I knew it was a buck but didn't know if it was a shooter.  There was no shot so I grabbed the grunt tube to see if I could turn him away from the doe.  After a soft grunt he stopped for a few seconds then I heard him walking away toward the same path the doe took.  I grabbed the tube again and gave a more aggressive grunt.  I immediately heard him turn around and start walking my way.  Leveled the crossbow where I thought he would enter the shooting lane.  He popped out at a perfect 23 yard broadside shot.  Place the crosshairs behind the shoulder and let the bolt fly.  I saw the bolt enter perfect and he took off.  Waited 30 minutes and found him 50 yards away.  The Rage Hypodermic broadhead put him down quickly.  A very cool non-typical buck that dressed out at 185#.

Bw1XI8A.png

God Bless America

todd