What's your favorite spring call............. ???

Strut10

I'll go..................

Box........... I have so many.  But the one that has watched more gobblers die than all the others combined is a Hally Caller Deluxe Box.

Glass/slate/etc............ Is a walnut pot slate over glass that I made.  I run a Dymondwood and/or flared mesquite striker on it

Diaphragm............. A fellow named Gooserbat make a call named the Heckler.  Freakin unbelievable for my style of calling !!!

Other.............. Really don't use any calls in the "other" category, I guess     Carry a crow call once in a long while  

Admittedly I am not much of a turkey hunter, our farm is pretty small and the birds more often than not roost near our lines and head away as soon as they get off the roost.  

I have had my best luck calling with a lohman box call, think it is called a double thunder.  

Have 4 or 5 slates, cannot tell you the name of any of them, can usually get birds to respond, but not much luck getting them in.  

Somewhere I have some real old calls that belonged to my grandfather, know nothing about them, posted pics of them here a looooong time ago.

4 hours ago, wtnhunt said:

Somewhere I have some real old calls that belonged to my grandfather, know nothing about them, posted pics of them here a looooong time ago.

Don't recall as I ever saw that post or those pics...........................

Would LOVE to see what they are if you wouldn't mind posting them up again sometime.

Rhodes call sounds good.  Other two i cannot figure out anything about them or how to even run them.  olt f6 on one of them, other has no identification at all. My aunt gave them to me probably 15 years ago, i asked here if anyone knew anything about them but like i said that was a little while back.  

My grandfather was mostly in west Virginia and west Pennsylvania with his coal mining, he has been gone about 40 years.   I know these are at least 40+ years old. 

20170122_160729.jpg

Crummy phone pic, no idea why the picture uploaded upside down. 

Favorite calls?  Hummm...OK I'll think of them in order of preference.

1. Slate call - either my Madhatter slate call or my Strut10 slate call...toss up on who gets the nod 1st (use one or the other, or both more than anything else)

2. Diaphram - Woodhaven Red Wasp

3. Gobble call - Primos Gobbler (not sure if they still make the one I prefer)

4. Box Call - Preston Pittman signature call (rarely use it unless it's windy on Eastern birds but Merriam & Rio's like it more than anything else)

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite go to call for Merriams is the Quaker Boy ---"Grand Old Master" box call.     I'll buy calls but it's the one I use every time.  The Colorado gobblers love to gobble & it fires them up.

Pot call-----I usually carry a slate but it's rarely sees an action.

Diaphragm----Don't use one.     They sound horrible when I try them.

So, I guess I'm a 1 trick pony----Grand Old Master.

Edited by colorado bob

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2017 at 8:32 PM, Strut10 said:

.............. in each category ??  Brand and model ......................

Box ??

Glass/slate/etc ??

Diaphragm ??

Other ??

Box is a mountainside poplar box with a cherry lid, mother in-law made if for me 25 years ago

Glass, DD Adams duplex, have to sneak it out of the house so the wife doesn't see me using it. If she catches me with it I carry a mountainside over under with a hickory flared striker

Diaphram, right cheek Mountainside ultra cutter, left check Mountainside Dominant Hen

Other, wingbone. 

10 hours ago, jbeck said:

Box is a mountainside poplar box with a cherry lid, mother in-law made if for me 25 years ago

Glass, DD Adams duplex, have to sneak it out of the house so the wife doesn't see me using it. If she catches me with it I carry a mountainside over under with a hickory flared striker

Diaphram, right cheek Mountainside ultra cutter, left check Mountainside Dominant Hen

Other, wingbone. 

So may we assume you're a Mountainside kinda guy ???    Lol !!!