Turkey Hunts

• 2 weeks later...

This was +/-  April 17th, 2014..............   We got into Chadron the first day the airport was open after a 24" snowstorm.  Hunted in squalls and blizzards with sustained winds from 40 to 50 mph..............with gusts.   We had to leave ultra early two days later to get ahead of the next 15" that was coming...............     First time I ever hunted spring birds in Realtree Snow camo !!!

DSC03235_zpsjge8rj7v.jpg

3 out of 4 got one bird (you're allowed 3 tags, I think).

I came home birdless, but by my own choosing.  I coulda made it 4 for 4 but didn't pull the trigger.  Just wasn't the bird I went there to shoot. 

Be that as it may.............. I'd wait til late April/ 1st of May if I ever went again

I've only been snowed in twice so far...both times in New Mexico hunting Merriams.  Wasn't quite as deep as Don's pic (close though) but our access was limited, especially the 2nd time.  A blizzard blew in the 1st day of the 1st trip.  After the 1st day the sun came out and started to thaw things out allowing us to at least get in the game.  Sitting under a tree that day was like being in an ice cold shower.  I didn't go with gear prepared for that!  Everybody managed to get their 2 birds by the end of the 4 day hunt.  I bagged both of mine on the last day.  

The 2nd trip was a lot worse.  We woke up to lightening, thunder, and a downpour of snow the 1st morning.  That's the heaviest I've ever seen in snow.  We couldn't get anywhere to hunt.  The 2nd day we could but the fog was so thick we could hear birds gobble but couldn't see past 40 yards.  Didn't improve much either during the day.   The 3rd day it was clear and sunny.  I had the most awesome turkey hunt I've ever had that day.  Killed a bird on the 14th setup at 3:10 in the afternoon.  Started working on him at 9:00.  I had no clue I was on that bird for over 6 hours and covered ~3/4 mile of ground.  Time sure flew by having fun!  The last day a blizzard blew in and we were snowed out again.  Out of 5 of us that went on that hunt, only 2 birds were killed.