2016 buck on the wall

wtnhunt

Have had this one back for 4 or 5 months and finally gotten around to taking some pics to post here.  Not sure why, but my cape is darker than the deer was and darker than any other deer I have mounted.  Wanted the ears pinned back more like in the trail cam pic of the deer just minutes before I shot him, and not a huge fan of the eye shadow look(black around the eyes) either.  Happy with the pose and the rest of the detail work though, deer was posturing and pushing off an 8 point when I shot him.

5aaae18ee3165_PICT027420169pt.thumb.jpg.2c6568ea78de7a92e0b62a566ca42ae0.jpg

MFDC1621resized.jpg

PICT027520169pt.jpg.ec2a8a6075d882ed9a34d16f1c20ed4a.jpg

2016 rifle 9.jpg

That's an awesome TN buck William and certainly looks great on the wall. The buck looks much older in the pic with you in it. I think the nose and eyes make it look much younger in the mount. Mount pics generally make the mount look worse than it actually is. 

On 3/19/2018 at 1:35 PM, fly said:

That's an awesome TN buck William and certainly looks great on the wall. The buck looks much older in the pic with you in it. I think the nose and eyes make it look much younger in the mount. Mount pics generally make the mount look worse than it actually is. 

Yeah Frank, he did have a bit of a "Roman nose" and the mount definitely did not show that or other characteristics that the cape or live deer did.  Taxidermist even commented on the roman nose and said this particular form would be great.  He thought the deer would score in the mid 120's, thought that was about right but I have not tried putting a tape on him.  I am happy with the form, but afraid this is the last time we use that taxi.  He never found the teeth from this deer either.   Kinda a shame really, he is a decent guy I can talk to for hours about hunting and stuff, I like him as a person and he has the ability to do good work but think he just has too much other stuff going on.  

I think last I remember we had guessed he was at least a 3.5 year old and possibly a 4.5.  

Congratulations again William...yep that buck on the wall now will always be a reminder of the memories you had pursuing him.  BTW...I agree with Frank.  The buck has more of a roman nose than the form your taxidermist used.  Next time you go to your taxidermist, have him show you the forms he can order for your mount from his book.  Sometimes it's best to look at the form yourself and then decide.

5 hours ago, Rhino said:

Next time you go to your taxidermist, have him show you the forms he can order for your mount from his book.  Sometimes it's best to look at the form yourself and then decide.

We did look in his catalog Al.  Picked the hooking aggressive form ha219 on this page https://www.mckenziesp.com/Catalog42/Page.aspx?page=99.  I told him I wanted the ears just like the one in the pic above to the right.  

I need to check back with him on the teeth, but at this point if he did find them would a little skeptical as to whether or not he knew for certain they were from my deer.  

Maybe this upcoming year will bring some good bucks.  I know there were 2 still alive in December that if they made it should be nice this year.  Hope we have that busted up buck make his way back around this year.  Hopeful that Catrina or our 12 year old daughter will be able to close the deal on a nice one, would be great problem to have to have to find a new taxidermist.