week one down

elkoholic

The first week of archery season has passed and not much action.  The opening weekend was spent hunting some steep, thick, blowdown filled country that really made me feel my age.  I had a bull less than 100 yards away on day one that I never saw but could hear him walking (it is dry and crunchy) and had him grunt a couple of times before walking away.  He circled below me and I was betrayed by the downslope thermals.  Day two was filled with more brush busting and the discovery of a freshly torn up wallow in the middle of a yew brush and lodgepole jungle.  So the week went, with evidence that the elk were there (even heard a distant bugle one morning) but none were seen.  It appears the rut has not started yet and, with the dry conditions, moving around is a noisy proposition.  Hoping for a cold front (maybe Tuesday) and some precipitation to get the elk moving.  As for deer,  I've seen very few and nothing I'm willing to shoot yet.  One small black bear was spotted and fortunately haven't stumbled into any griz.  Today is a recovery day and tomorrow I'll be back at it.  It's a long season and although when it comes to elk about all I get is exercise, the enjoyment of being in the mountains is immeasurable.