Team 4

wtnhunt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Checking in.  Looking forward to sharing deer tales with the team.  I think this will be the 1st time Don has been on the same team with me. 

Season opens in MO on 9/15 and heading there on 9/17 for just a few days.  Probably won't get a chance to hunt much.  The new barn & skinning shed is almost finished (burnt down last year on 10/17).  We need to get the skinning shed ready.  I have the electric hoist for it to mount.  The walk in cooler is ordered to be deliver and we'll have to assemble it.  finishing touches stuff and I want to run the trail cams again too.  We usually wait until the 1st cool front of the season moves through to get serious about kicking off the bow season there anyway.

Edited by Rhino

Checking in.

Probably not much hunting going on here til early November when the big boys get a little dumb.  Planning to put in a 70 hour week then.  Haven't had a trailcam in about 5 years, so...…………..  Ironically, I have shot most of my best bucks in that time frame.    Go figger.  I did see one decent deer a month or so ago cross the road.  Probably not a candidate.  But a nice 110"-120" deer.

Why not get some more rain …………………….. ?????   We got 7 3/4" last weekend.  Right now, we're 13"+ above the norm for the year...…………………   A day without rain here is like a day...……….well...……………..somewhere else.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:33 AM, Rhino said:

Joe...it looks like you and Don are going to get hammered by rain from Florence Wednesday.

It's looking like Thursday now because the storm is so slow moving.  We could definitely use it.

Right now it's been very hot and muggy.  The deer have only been moving at night.  It's finally going to break tomorrow so I expect some movement shortly.  I hope the bucks start coming around soon.  If not I have several big does that have freezer filler written all over them.  If you get a chance, check out the doe I posted in the photograph room.

I actually did something deer hunting related !!!   I got a new 3-pack of broadheads for this season.   LOL !!!   The dumb thing is...…….the heads I shoot...……..the manufacturer will re-sharpen them for free in the off season.  But I never remember in the off season.  I remember when it's the time of year they don't re-sharpen them...…………   DOH !!!   So I have a whole bunch of them that have flown a time or two just sitting here waiting or me to remember when I'm SUPPOSED to.  

Been so stinking busy, the last arrow that I shot outta my bow is the one that went through my buck last year.    

On 9/20/2018 at 11:34 AM, abrown said:

Rhino, I have a cousin that lives over your way.  There in South Haven, he has something to do with a hunting club there in southern Mississippi, MS Delta Ducks.

South Haven is about a 2.5 hour drive north of me (just south of Memphis, TN).  Been looking at moving that way sometime since my son lives in Memphis.

With the forecast calling for a cool front to move through MO later this week. I plan to be in a tree bowhunting Friday afternoon...maybe Thursday afternoon too.  I'll hunt 4 or 5 days then take a short break.

Edited by Rhino

Buddy who hunts my property called me today with a rundown of this week's card pull from his cameras...……...

Seems we'd be better off hunting bears at this point.  LOL !!   He got pics of two different ones.  "One about 250 and a big one" he said.  A pair of 100-ish inch bucks is the best he's gotten pics of, so far. 

My season starts tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be out for morning watch and night watch.  For some strange reason I'm not getting any bucks on camera this year.  Normally I have a spike or crotch horn or two running around but not this year.  I have about 6-7 mature does and 2 fawns that are regulars in the food plot.  I have 2 dry does in particular that running together.  They will be at the top of my hit list.

18 hours ago, Strut10 said:

How tall ya suppose that bear stands on his hind legs ??

Nice crop of kudzu you got going on there, too !!!     Lol !!

Don...Best guess...about 5'.  They typically don't get as big as the ones up north.  Kudzu...yep...that plot is named Kudzu too for a good reason.

Good luck Joe on your 1st hunt of the season.  Mine will be Friday in Missouri.  Driving there tomorrow.

Sounds like there may be a few possibilities roaming my neck of the woods this season.  My brother saw 3 "wallhangers" (his word) from almost the same spot, driving down a country road not too far from the Strut10 Ranch...……….less than a mile...……….so...……...

The biggest buck I saw last season (in the headlights driving to hunt one morning), so far as I know, never got killed.  

Hopefully in about a month, one of these, or another big boy will do something dumb.

Back from the 1st short hunting trip in MO.  Saw a shooter 9 point the 1st day...no shot but he's not a buck I'd care to shoot this early in the season.  Thunderstorms cut my 2nd afternoon hunt short.  The 3rd afternoon I saw a lot of deer (27) but no shooter bucks.  The temp shot up into the 80's the 4th day so we spent that day and the following day doing chores.  Headed back to MO next Wednesday to hunt with a friend of mine for 4 days.  After that, I'll take a break from hunting Missouri until later this month and spend a little time hunting here in MS.

Congrats on the flat top!  Got back from MO last night.  Fun hunt but the mature bucks weren't moving much.  I did see 2 big ones one afternoon.  One of them is this 14 point I got on a trail cam in velvet.  He was chasing a young doe.  Early for that going on.

450013879_RT6.jpg.95f937f3decd44bc9176b487edb13004.jpg

The other was a big, old main frame 9 with one NT point that hasn't been caught on a cam.  I was blown away by his body size.  I told my buddy he had such a pronounced sway back that he looked like you could have thrown a saddle over his back.  I watched him for over 10 minutes working the same scrape and lick branch.  Once he got up on his back legs and pulled the big lick branch almost down to ground level.  Very cool sighting!  Oddly, he came out close to the scrape...worked it hard...then went right back into cover in the same spot.

I'll be headed back to MO around Oct. 25th for a long haul hunt.  I'll hunt through Nov. 7th, then take a short break for a couple of days and head right back for the MO gun season that opens on Nov. 10th this year.

Oh, I did take out a coyote around 10:00 Sunday morning at ~25 yards.  I'll post a pic later.

Edited by Rhino

Nice shootin on the dog !!!

That junked-up 14 is one worth passing those 8's for.  Best of luck running one through his boiler room !!!

I just went to the bow shop tonight and picked up my arrows.  Had all 20 I own re-fletched and re-nocked.  They were in need.  Now I gotta find time to get some string time in just to loosen up some old, creaky bones and muscles.

The deer movement has really picked up here (along the roads) since the cold snap moved in.  I think next week ill be a good week to be in a tree here.  I gotta wait a couple weeks.  Should only get better every day from here on out.