Team 4

wtnhunt

Great shot on the coyote!!  I hate them things.

I will be in the woods tonight and for the next few days.  Waiting for the rut to kick in here.  I've seen two pencil thin spikes but no big'uns yet.  Waiting for the neighbor to cut his corn then things will bust open.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by RangerClay

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fellow that taps some maple trees on my place texted me the other morning.  Said he was driving down the road through my place right by where he taps.  Saw a buck he said I'd better shoot.  Said it wasn't real wide, but heavy and as high as any buck he'd ever seen.

Sounds promising, anyways...………..

Lost one on the Strut10 Ranch.

Buddy of mine saw a buck laying dead in a spring run near a dirt road...……..like 30 feet down over the bank.  I was on my way home so he met me there.  I was figuring poached from the road or a non-recovered archery hit.   Neither.

I wish I had taken a picture of the deer as it layed.

This buck was right in the spring run, facing upstream,  underneath at least 3 logs, none of which was a foot off the ground.  His antlers got wedged in a V where 2 of the logs crossed.  His nose was under 3 inches of water.  He drowned.

I have NO clue as to why this deer was trying to belly under logs he could have gone through, over or around.  Funny thing is...……..he was 25 feet from the source of the spring...…..which comes out of the base of a 30 foot horseshoe-shaped embankment that is nearly vertical.  There was really nowhere he was going to go except turn around and go back the way he came in.

Odder than odd.

43855159950_0e56c31a1a_b.jpg

That's real strange Don.

I'm still in MO.  Wanted to give y'all an update.  Yesterday afternoon a big 8 decided to try to pass near me on his way to a standing corn field.  I couldn't pass this one...shot him at ~25 yards.  He went ~50 yards then I watched him bed down from the stand.  I like those kind of tracking jobs!  I think he will score somewhere close to 155".  I'll take daylight pics today after my buddy gets back from his morning hunt.  Also, in MO we get 2 fall archery turkey tags.  This past Saturday afternoon I shot a gobbler from a treestand.   Lucky I was able to draw without spooking him.  He only went ~40 yards into standing corn.  Bonus trophy!  That's the 1st gobbler I've ever shot from a treestand with a bow.

That's real strange Don.

I'm still in MO.  Wanted to give y'all an update.  Yesterday afternoon a big 8 decided to try to pass near me on his way to a standing corn field.  I couldn't pass this one...shot him at ~25 yards.  He went ~50 yards then I watched him bed down from the stand.  I like those kind of tracking jobs!  I think he will score somewhere close to 155".  I'll take daylight pics today after my buddy gets back from his morning hunt.  Also, in MO we get 2 fall archery turkey tags.  This past Saturday afternoon I shot a gobbler from a treestand.   Lucky I was able to draw without spooking him.  He only went ~40 yards into standing corn.  Bonus trophy!  That's the 1st gobbler I've ever shot from a treestand with a bow.

I will be on the sidelines scouting, etc. here in MO until I can go for my 2nd buck on Nov. 10th.

Got my first hunt in !!

Clammy, windy, rainy, crappy day...……….as is typical in W. PA...……..  Stayed up all day.  Saw 8 different bucks.  They were responding to calling quite well.  Had 3 come in at once to a sequence at  8:30.  Another pair came in from different directions after a sequence at 12:30.  One of those was a heavy-ish 8 frame with a small split brow...…….16" or so wide. He came to about 4 or 5 yards.   Just not what I'm looking for, but a darned nice deer for our area.  Also had a real pretty 9 come in.  Dandy 5 on one side but a bit of a broken 4 on the other...……...17"-ish wide but not a lot of mass.

Overall a good day in the deer-seeing department.  And I was hunting the prettiest view of any stand I have.  Just LOUSY weather.  But if ya live here...……..you're pretty used to it.

45654191002_432632e4b2_b.jpg

Crappy cell phone pics of a 110" or so 9 pointer at 17-18 yards...……...

45654170322_c8fd878ced_b.jpg

And a 105" or so 8 pointer (see him ??) at about 7 yards...………..and coming.

44980192044_bcfb158427_b.jpg

Cool and entertaining hunt Don.  The morning of 11/1 I videoed two 8 points with my iPhone X.  One was nose down cold trailing.  The other was just cruising.  Never tried to post a video.  Quality of my iPhone 7 plus was too poor to zoom.  The iPhone X is pretty good up to ~50% zoom.

BTW...yesterday afternoon my young buddy (35 now but known him since he was 14) was hunting one of my ladders on the S end of a fresh cut corn field.  He saw 3 shooters...2 went close to a hang-n stand we have in the timber there off the field.  They stayed in the cover.  He's headed to that hang-on stand this afternoon.  One of them was the 14 point you liked Don (4 NT points) I posted velvet pics of.  The other was a big 10 point.  Hot rut action is on here right now.  I bet I'll be in a recovery group later today.  Another older buddy is headed to the N end where the other big frame buck was seen.  Hope to share kill pics soon!

What a difference 2 days makes...………...

Rained all night and stopped just before daylight.  Perfect wind.  Had a buck run a couple does past me at about 25 feet...…….grunting like a hog...…….. in the pitch dark while I was still on the ground hooking my bow to the tow rope.

Stayed in all day and ended up seeing the 8 from the video at 100 yards running a doe around 1:00 and a real wide 4 just at dark.  I think a total of 5 does/fawns...……….

Hard to believe it's the same stand I sat Saturday.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a washout til some time after lunch.  I just got in from tossing a pop-up blind out.  Not real hopeful about anything tomorrow.  But it'll be better than sitting in the house watching it rain.

Just got home for a short time to catch up on bills, etc.  Heading back to MO Friday since I can start trying to fill my 2nd MO buck tag Saturday.  A guest of my buddy's killed an 11 point on my hit list.  He scored 163 2/8" gross.  I'll post a picture later.  Got to unpack and regroup.

Thanks Pat!

Ended up seeing 2 bucks from the blind this AM.  But since it just appeared last night they weren't buying into it too well.  Not spooked.  Buy leary.  The one may have been a shooter.  He was on the move and I only got a quick look.  The rain stopped around 10:30     I left at noon.  When the front passed through, the wind kicked up BIG TIME and I wasn't riding a tree in 40-50 mph winds.

Plan to be out all day tomorrow.

Hi everyone!   Been hunting hard with little to no rut activity in my area.  Been hunting here for 30+ years and have never ever seen anything like this.  Should be peak rut and I have yet to find a scrape.  normally my treestand is surrounded by them.  I did finally have a 4 point chase a doe by my stand.  It was fun to watch.  30 minutes later this 6 point came by to see what all the fuss was about.  He looked good to me so I let him have it.  11 more points for team 4.   Gun season starts soon so I'm going to learn some new property this weekend with my son.   It will be his first deer season and I couldn't be more excited.

Congratulations to Al!!  That's a dandy buck!   Don, thanks for sharing the video, very cool.

Buck pic.JPG

Rack pic.jpg

Congratulations Joe!  Strange your rut isn't cranked up good yet.  It's going strong in Missouri right now.  Headed back tomorrow and hunting through next Thursday  .  Spending the night at my son's house in Memphis, TN tonight.  Makes for only a 6 1/2 hour drive from here rather than 9 1/2 from home.  I have the 30-378 Wby Mag with me...just in case.  Going to bowhunt from the start when the gun season opens Saturday but may break out the big gun if I don't have my 2nd buck by Tuesday.

BTW...going for more points on the 2nd buck.  Hope to catch the 14 point making a mistake.

Edited by Rhino

I will have an upgrade posted soon.  Shot the 14 point this morning.  13 points over 1"...broke off the end of one of his kickers.  It's this buck that Don liked the best from velvet picks.  Scores 157"

450013879_RT6.jpg.95f937f3decd44bc9176b487edb13004.jpg

I'm tagged out on bucks in Missouri now.  Great season here!!!

Edited by Rhino