wtnhunt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!  Our big opening week is over.  Had record cold temperatures that limited how much we got out for a few days.  I have nothing to upgrade with yet but my son dropped the hammer on his first deer then another.  Four deer came through and he decided to fill both of his doe permits.  I'm very proud of him, took only two shots and both deer piled up within sight.  They weren't the biggest deer on the hill but I told him he could shoot whatever he wanted.  He told me that he had a chance at an 8 point earlier but didn't have a clean shot so he passed on it.  Once again very proud of my little man.

IMG_6263.PNG.1f8f8093098f68830c44828cca28a152.PNG

A BIG congratulations to your son Joe.  You taught him well!

My luck is still running strong this year.  Made my 1st hunt of the gun season in MS the afternoon of Nov. 20th.  Checked one trail cam on my way to the stand (explain later).  This stand is on top of a ridge by a steep drop off.  The bottom below it is a cane thicket.  Only 20 minutes into my hunt I saw movement in the cane.  Glassed this buck for a few minutes before I could size him up.  Then a few more minutes looking for a clear shot.  He went less than 5 yards.  Gross score is 134.5"

88696364_Als11-19-2018MS9point..jpg.2097ce428247bb8a107683d0feef2428.jpg

So far I'm having a banner year.  I hadn't been able to check any cams for over a month.  Been in Missouri.  Now...the trail cam I checked on my way to the stand was ~1/8 of a mile from where I was hunting.  The 1st buck to show up on this cam was the double droptine buck I caught in velvet this summer.   Here's one of the new hard antler pics.

1399761188_DDTBuckHH.jpg.eef12f8b25efbc61c145b114c23c82b2.jpg

The 2nd buck to show up on that same cam was the 9 point I've got in my hands.  Time to focus my attention on hunting the double droptine buck now.  Right now I have 5 cams around the area where I think he's spending some of his time.  We'll see if my luck holds out.

Congrats to the young man piling up the backstraps !!!

Congrats to Al on another slammer !!

I have worked every day since (and including) Thanks giving and my first day off will be Christmas day.  All of the general firearms season down the crapper.  I should, hopefully, get 4, 5 or 6 days of flintlocking in.  I'm VERY excited for that to get here after Christmas !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

MERRY CHRISTMAS to the guys on TEAM 4 !!!!

Tomorrow starts our flintlock season...………..  Have several days available to hunt.  Gonna have my best huntin' buddy along as much as she will.  I still oughta get a chance to add some baldy points to our total.  Both daughter and I can shoot a buck and 3 doe.  I won't shoot a buck unless it's something I'd have shot with my bow in November.  Gonna tell her to shoot any buck she wants if one happens by...…………..  

Thanks Don...and Happy New Year to everyone too.  Been in the woods since Christmas afternoon.  Haven't knocked another deer down but enjoyed being out there.  It's prime time rut here now but the weather has been terrible.  Warm and wet for the most part.  Haven't seen any mature bucks lately.  Rain moves out and cooler temps roll in Friday so I'll give it a go later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, fellers...…………………….  I'm throwing in my towel.

Daughter got the flu at Christmas time and only got to hunt a couple hours 2 different days.  Put deer in front of her both times, but she didn't shoot (oh, geez...……….don't ask...…).

I spent a few days at it myself and actually COULD have filled all 4 of my tags in the first 1 1/2 days.  I was just so bummed to not be hunting with my daughter, I didn't care to shoot anything.

Sooooooo…………… I gotta work with my daughter on sound management/conservation -vs- emotion for next year and for myself, just hope we have a few decent survivor bucks still running the Strut10 Ranch to be targets this coming season.  

32 minutes ago, Mathews XT Man said:

Sorry to hear the "passing up" problem...lol  I sat with my daughter, first nice 6 pt. buck at 10 yards qrt away shot, her first potential bowkill.....I'm over her shoulder in treestand, whisper in her ear...SHOOT....nuge...SHOOT!!   She turns around and frankly tells me..."I'm waiting for an 8 pt"!!??  Feel for ya Don

This was RIGHT in line with why she didn't shoot the FIRST big meat mule that was in front of her.

She was holding a buck tag and 3 doe tags.  She had told me a few weeks ago "I'm only shooting a buck if it is 7 points or more".   So, OK...…….she wants a bigger buck.  Well, what I did NOT understand was that was the ONLY thing she was shooting...………...no doe !!!   Aye, yi, YI...………..!!!

Then I explained to her the thing about realistic expectations in late flintlock season and she agreed she'd shoot a doe next time.  Well, last night with 5-10 minutes of season remaining, there's a big doe fawn 20 yards from us standing broadside.  Momma was SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWLY bringing up the rear and was NOT gonna present a shot in the daylight.  She wouldn't shoot !!!!   "I don't wanna shoot a baby !!"   UGH !!!!!!   I'd have pulled my hair out if I had enough to get a hold of !!!!  There was 40 pounds of baloney in that deer !!!!   I wanted deer baloney !!!!   My gun was turned the wrong way with the deer being so close...……..nothing I could do but watch.