Climbing sticks and stands

Maine Hntr

whats everyone using for climbing sticks and stands? I got a few older cheaper ones and like to buy a new one now and again to replace them over time.. just curious what everyones using and how they like or don't like them. Any good deals on anything? I often check out cabelas for sales but some of the better brands don't seem to discount much or often.. 

Only hang on I have up this year is an ameristep bone collector deluxe and have a big game stick for that set that I picked up online from rural king.  The rest of the stands I currently have up are either permanent or ladder stands.  Have several home made steel ladder stands and a couple ameristep, one of those is the 2 man that walmart sells.  

Steel prices have been climbing, and with them the prices of most everything related to stands is probably also gonna climb.  Does not help now, but walmart after season is the best time to find deals, online and in stores.  

For comfort the ameristep hang on stand is very similar to my summit climber.  Has the sling type seat and back cushion that is more comfortable to sit in than a steel seat with a cushion. 

Most of my stands just have regular 20' climbing sticks. Like William mentioned, I pick them up after the season for around $30-$40. I tried the stagger step ones that are each separate a few years ago, but really didn't care for them. I feel more comfortable climbing a 20' stick that is all connected.

I usually pick my stands up on sale after the season too. I don't really ever add to my collection, but like you mostly just replace my old stuff over time. I do know that I am done with the $29 compact hang on stands lol. Now that I'm getting a few years on me I need something a little more comfortable.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:44 AM, MUDRUNNER said:

Now that I'm getting a few years on me I need something a little more comfortable.

!0/4 on that...when I do sit, Im in for the long haul, comfort becomes a huge sell for me. After a landowner sold her place, I have not had my Tree lounges up. I sure miss my afternoon naps in a swaying tree.

The vast majority of my hang-on style stands are Millennium stands.  Why?  They are the most comfortable stands I've ever used.  Over the years, I've used a lot of different stands and non compare to Millennium stands for comfort.  The more comfortable I am in a stand, the longer I'm apt to stay in it hunting.  I liked their products so much, about 4 years ago a group of us bought the company for it's growth potential.  Most of my Millennium hang-on stands are the M150 Monster.  It has a full seat, built in footrest, nice size platform, and adjust for a crooked tree.  I also have a couple of the 360 Revolution hang on stands too.  The 360 Revolution also have a full seat that will swivel 360 and can be set in a crooked tree too.  I also use Millennium stick ladders and their ladder stands too.

I knew you were a millennium guy Al, I actually took a look at some this weekend and they definitely look like nice stands, how's the weight compare to lone wolf? The Lone Wolf's are very light and they're really gearing toward the pack and climb strategy vs. the hang and leave them all year.. both have their advantages but either way I prefer an easier pack and setup when possible. I have an old Summit climber which I still really like but it is a bit bulky for today's standards.Thanks for the feedback and info.

14 hours ago, Maine Hntr said:

how's the weight compare to lone wolf?

The M100U ultralight is 13.5lbs...the M60 ulralight is 13 lbs.  The M100 has the full seat & back.  The M60 doesn't have a back for the seat.  New this year is the hang-on climbing sticks (come in either steel or aluminum).  They come in a pack of 4.  Lone wolf's hang on sticks come in a pack of 3 (I still have and use some).  The aluminum hang-on climbing sticks are designed where the prongs that go against the tree will fold flat for transport so they can be packed flat and strapped to the stand making them more packable.  The lone wolf hang-on sticks don't do that and 3 of them is not enough to get high enough in a tree IMO.  The steel hang-on sticks don't have the folding prongs and obviously would be heavier.

I'm not a "pack the stand & sticks in" kind of hunter anymore.  Age caught up with me.  Most of my stands are the M150 Monster (hang-on stand) and the L110 (21' ladder stand) for bowhunting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 4:58 PM, Rhino said:

The M100U ultralight is 13.5lbs...the M60 ulralight is 13 lbs.  The M100 has the full seat & back.  The M60 doesn't have a back for the seat.  New this year is the hang-on climbing sticks (come in either steel or aluminum).  They come in a pack of 4.  Lone wolf's hang on sticks come in a pack of 3 (I still have and use some).  The aluminum hang-on climbing sticks are designed where the prongs that go against the tree will fold flat for transport so they can be packed flat and strapped to the stand making them more packable.  The lone wolf hang-on sticks don't do that and 3 of them is not enough to get high enough in a tree IMO.  The ladbrokes bonus code hang-on sticks don't have the folding prongs and obviously would be heavier.

I'm not a "pack the stand & sticks in" kind of hunter anymore.  Age caught up with me.  Most of my stands are the M150 Monster (hang-on stand) and the L110 (21' ladder stand) for bowhunting. 

Thanks for the clarification!