2020 velvet hunt, maybe

wtnhunt

Last year TN made the cwd zone eligible to use muzzleloader for the Late August 3 day buck only hunt, we were not in the zone so I did not even attempt to get out in the heat with archery gear.  Looked at the proposed new regs earlier today, which has our county fall into the cwd zone even though there have been no cases here yet.  That puts us in that 3 day hunt, and they added rifle in as well.  Our official regs/handbook should come out in a few weeks, will be able to confirm this then. 

Guess I better get some cameras out.  Motivation to get our beans in too, was shooting for planting this weekend.  There is a lot of corn in around us, don't figure it will be out in time, but never know if we might have something decent hanging around in rifle range.  

I just read the new regs in the handbook online and confirmed that our county is in fact included in this.  No doubt the August 3 day weekend will be warm here. 

Snake boots will be a must.  May have to invest in a new mesh bugsuit if I cannot find my old one.  Think I will plan to try all the mornings, not sure about the afternoons.  Unless I got lucky enough to tag a velvet buck opening morning, then would let Catrina hunt the rest.

Nothing on the first pull to get excited about.  Several little bucks. 

Had at least 3 different 8 points I know made it through last year that should be interesting this year.  Hopefully in the next month we get something interesting coming around.

Sure would like to see one of these guys from last year in velvet to get a bit more excited.  I know these made it through last hunting season.

MFDC1456resized.thumb.JPG.0259b4faed6cbda998731025169ea4cc.JPG

MFDC1459resized.thumb.JPG.370a98783fe902e6304a966ed9c6706c.JPG

Dunno about this one, suspected he had something going on, was hunched up in the second pic.  

MFDC0823resized.JPG

MFDC0825resized.JPG

There were a couple other bucks I know made it through that would probably have my interest this season, especially if they are coming around late August for the velvet hunt..  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, velvet would be sweet! My best friend and I got into some velvet Muleys last year, but he missed at 10 yards and the buck I stalked didn't like vehicles passing by and bugged out. I never saw him leave, but he never knew I was there from what my buddy said viewing from afar.

We're going out again along the Missouri River a month from now  to hopefully get on some velvet bucks and maybe tag a bonus antelope, but I'm almost more excited about the two ladder stands I put up yesterday. There are some big bodied deer using the trail and it could be a good shot at a velvet whitetail!

You've got the juices flowing now, William! Lol

7 minutes ago, Dakota said:

There are some big bodied deer using the trail and it could be a good shot at a velvet whitetail!

Good luck Dakota.  

A months worth of trail cam images from two cams here has not shown a single decent buck around.  Hoping we have a nice one show up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of figure a lot of deer are hanging out in the corn crops.  Corn won't be out any time soon. 

Usually by this time of the year we have had at least one buck on camera catch my attention and wanting a better look.  To this point the highlight of trail cams has been a set of small triplets.  Don't usually see that too much here these days.  

Still no bucks beyond 1.5 year olds.  I do not have a camera in the bottom yet though, and I have seen some fair sized tracks down there.  May just have to plan to sit there on the first morning if I have the right wind.  Only 2 weeks away now.

1 hour ago, wtnhunt said:

Kind of figure a lot of deer are hanging out in the corn crops.  Corn won't be out any time soon. 

Usually by this time of the year we have had at least one buck on camera catch my attention and wanting a better look.  To this point the highlight of trail cams has been a set of small triplets.  Don't usually see that too much here these days.  

Still no bucks beyond 1.5 year olds.  I do not have a camera in the bottom yet though, and I have seen some fair sized tracks down there.  May just have to plan to sit there on the first morning if I have the right wind.  Only 2 weeks away now.

I was thinking that, too, then busted those deer out of the bedding area in the woods yesterday, so who knows? Could deer be different where some mostly hang in the corn and others in the trees? How far is the bottom from the corn? We saw some big tracks when setting up a stand in the bottom August 1st, but I've got nothing on camera down there. I know deer are at least bedding on the ridge sides, but maybe they don't use the bottom regularly until the crops are out. Again, I know Tennessee is vastly different than South Dakota, but deer behavior should be universal. 

With this being a week from tomorrow, had hopes we might have one of the bucks from last year show up.  Swapped cards this morning, not a single buck since the last pull on August 8th.  To date, have had just a couple fork horns and spikes show up on our cams, furthest I think we have gone into the summer in quite some time without at least having some decent bucks pass our cameras. 

Have had some yotes around, may just plan on setting up for yotes.  A lot less work killing coyotes. 

At this point not looking too likely I will get the opportunity.  Wife is having major issues at her work due to the wuhan virus. 

Looking at possible flooding and temps in the mid 70's each morning.  So, likely I would not hunt where I planned in the bottom anyway.  

I would probably be a little disappointed if we were getting pics of any decent bucks, but we are still not getting any bucks on our cameras.  Better luck next year maybe.  

Hope you get out of the jury duty Dakota.  Only time I had it, I had to call in every night to see if I had to report.  Luckily I never got called up to report.  

I need to swap cards sometime this week.  Really surprised that to this point we have had NO bucks that were of any interest at all.  Only a couple 1.5 year olds.  Been a strange year to say the least.  Have noticed an uptick in buzzards flying low over the bottoms just off our lines.  Dunno if anyone killed or wounded anything back in behind us during the velvet hunt or not.  

• 2 weeks later...