Antelope anyone?

Dakota

Anyone got plans to pursue antelope this year? I've got a South Dakota any antelope archery tag. Normally I'd probably range further out across the state, but I think Covid-19 is forcing me to take smaller day trips to closer less antelope filled territory this year. 

Only lope I would have had a chance at was near Circle Mont. west of Glendive.  Did not grab a tag, as we were Mule deer hunting. of course there was one right up by the two track. let us drive right up to it. Coulda shot him with the bow.

Just stickin at home, chasin Whities this fall. 5 minutes and im in ''heaven"....lol

• Like 1

They're certainly a fun hunt! There aren't too many on the eastern side of the Missouri River, but their population is increasing in size and territory, and there's close to eight eligible eastern counties in the rifle and archery seasons these days.

There's a good chunk of public land up and down the river, but wouldn't surprise me if most are more easily hunted in the private agriculture fields (wheat, alfalfa, etc.). Got a tip on a vast ranch covering nearly half of one of those counties, so I'm praying I'll be able to get access. People are more willing to let you hunt their antelope than deer, pheasants and waterfowl out here.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Montana has an early archery season that opens August 15th and I'm thinking about heading over to the east side of the divide to give it a go.  It would allow for almost three weeks of hunting before archery elk opens up.  I just have to decide in time to apply for a tag.  The one real negative is the mid August heat, although this particular hunt (900 archery) is open until Nov. 14th and could offer a chance for a cooler weather excursion.  Application deadline is June 1st so there is time to think about it.