Pair of Florida birds to start the year.

Strut10

Still 2 weeks to wait til our ridiculously late opener.  I get tired of waiting sometimes.  So a couple weeks ago, my cousin and I made a whirlwind (2300 miles in 5 days to hunt 2 days) trip to Florida to chase Osceolas for the first time. 

I was given lots of pointers before I went.  The best of them being "They don't gobble much on the ground" and "Take a Thermacell".  Both spot on !!!

The first morning we hunted in the Gainesville area.  Cousin took a long-spurred slammer at 10:30.  Then I switched my deal up in the afternoon and called in a 2 year bird...........strutting down a sand road the whole way.  But never gobbled.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51015315845_60182c48a2_z.jpg[/img]

Although taken below the "official Osceola line", this bird shows lots of Eastern influence.

The next day was a travel day, on south.  Day 3 we hunted a big property we'd never seen or set foot on.  Called in some hens at first light with a bird gobbling hard from 1/2 mile across a "savannah" field.  We decided to relocate somewhere down through an ak hammock and see what was what.  We walked a ways and found just a classic looking place to call a bird.  The tom that was half a mile away was still hammering.  For the heck of it I ripped some yelps with a longbox and he hit me back.  I cut him off and he hammers back.  Told cousin at least that bird knew where we were.  We sat down and I started calling a little.  Wasn't long that 3 hens came up the hammock the way we had come in.  I noticed the mouthy gobbler had gone quiet.  With the savannah field to our left, I told cousin to keep his eye that way as the goofy thing just COULD be coming.  He was.  Within a minute of me saying that, he came out of the fog and right into the oaks......headed to the 3 hens that were headed to me.  At just about 40 yards, he strutted out from behind a palmetto clump and my second Osceola was down.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51084592662_2ef53ec207_c.jpg[/img]

I always love hunting different birds in different places and different habitats.  I can't say for sure which has been my absolute favorite.  They all have their attractions.  But an untouched Florida oak hammock..........like pre-white man, untouched........at gobble time is just magical.  I don't know if I can go back next year or if I'll never do it again.  But this was one of the most incredible hunts I've ever been on.