Deer Camp Pictures

fly

Deer Camp 7.bmpThis has been a great year for me! To cap off an already great hunting season the good Lord provided a nice healthy doe to add some action to deer camp 2021! This year my father son and I returned to the hills of the Shawnee National Forest! I placed my son in my “secret spot” and he saw 4 deer on opening day. He elected to pass the first 3 as they were smaller does and a spike. He saw a decent 8-point buck at 4pm but it didn’t present the short he was looking for. On day two he wasn’t going to be as picky but did not see a deer. My luck was WORSE! I had a beautiful view but didn’t see a deer on opening day. On day 2, I was about to call it a morning hunt when at 9am a doe cam hustling by. I tried to stop her but the wind was too much and at 60 yards she didn’t hear me. Finally I screamed HEY! As loud as I could and she stopped. Yep, she stopped… behind the largest oak in my view – No shot. She waiting a few seconds then decided to get the heck out of Dodge. As she got to a small clearing at 80 yards a took a trotting quartering away shot with my new Savage 220 loaded with left over accutips for 2 years ago and hit the 10 ring at 80 yards. I don’t boost much, but this was by far the best shot I have ever made. Another year of sharing camp with my dad, and my son. The Lord made me a deer hunter and I thank Him for it.

Deer Camp 1.jpg

Deer Camp 2.jpg

Deer Camp 3.jpg

Deer Camp 4.jpg

Deer Camp 6.jpg

Deer Camp 5.bmp Deer Camp 8.bmp Deer Camp 9.bmp

Neither Mike nor I got a deer this year. The first time in at least 15 years we both came home empty handed.

Our area of MN had a severe drought this year and our plots were a complete failure. The worst ever. Without good plots there is nothing for the deer to come in for.

But there was still good food, good friendship, good beer (and a little good brandy) and some great games of cribbage. And... There is always next year.20211113_183348.thumb.jpg.126fd38e9b54dc3a12c451e23a2b40ed.jpg20211120_191618.thumb.jpg.aa5edd39293e5b19ea3aa9e96be526fa.jpg