Tagged out opening day

RangerClay

Turkeys have been few and far between in central NY for years.  On opening day (May 1st) I got my first long beard in a long time.  I was hunting a brand new piece of ground.  The weather that morning was absolutely perfect.  I got out of my truck, got situated and tried a call in case something was nearby and was immediately answered by 2-3 toms really aggressively.  I quickly set my decoy and got ready.  It took about an hour of soft calling but a hen lead a tom into my set-up.  He had a 9 inch beard, 1 inch spurs, and was easily over 20 pounds.  It was the fastest I have ever tagged out.  Now I have to tell you about my decoy.  It was something I bought probably 20 years ago and never bothered to try it until last Sunday.  Mr. and Mrs. Tom Turkey walked right up to it.  Who says you need a $100 decoy to kill a bird ?

T1.jpg

T2.jpeg

T3.jpg

Congratulations! I remember those decoys - I had a couple and "upgraded" to the ones pictured below about 15 years ago.  I didn't like blowing them up, prefer placing a stick in them to keep them open.  You doing anything with this Tom other than eating it?

20220419_075824.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 9:25 AM, fly said:

Congratulations! I remember those decoys - I had a couple and "upgraded" to the ones pictured below about 15 years ago.  I didn't like blowing them up, prefer placing a stick in them to keep them open.  You doing anything with this Tom other than eating it?

Nothing special.  I'm drying out the tailfeathers and will probably hang it in the garage.