2023-2024 Deer Contest Scorecard

Well, it looks like there aren't too many around to run the contest. If no one is able I'll run it this year. Place you user name below if you want to be included.

So far it's just me (fly). Place your picture and tag on this thread.

Edited by fly

• fly changed the title to 2023-2024 Deer Contest Scorecard
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 9:37 PM, fly said:

Yea, I'm trying to keep the deer contest alive at least one more year. Just use this tread to share your deer hunting stories! We only have 4 people so it'll just be one team where we all root each other to glory! LOL

Sounds Good, thanks for your efforts Frank. Good luck this year, i've seen you have some great prospects to go after. Hopefully we'll see a couple others roll back in at some point.

I went out Saturday and had two does walk past at 20 yards. At this point I am only hunting for a mature buck so they got the pass. I don't like taking too many does before the rut and my dad and nephew have a green light for does. My next day out will be Monday eve. I do have an updated picture of Victor to share. He was under my stand at 9pm last night! Also got a report that Rib Cage (a 170 inch 3.5 year old from last year made it until at least April).

Victor October.jpg

Victor. October.jpg

Made my first sit this past Sunday on some of the public land I hunt.   Had a buck with about 8" spikes walk by right after I got settled.  Beings the WMA I was on has a 1 buck limit, the spike got a pass.  The wind swirled and another deer caught my scent, never seen it but heard it blow.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to wear my Realtree clothes for what may be the last picture I post on the RT forums. There sure has been a lot of memories here. I hate to see them go. I'm still in the game, but only a few more days of top rut hunting left. We will see.

Edited by fly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like this is it for the RT forums. I can't post pictures anymore. It wasn't much of a contest this year, but at least we didn't go out without a fight! I did end up taking another antler-less deer (button buck) last week in a draw hunt that requires an antler-less deer be harvested before an antlered. My season doesn't end until mid-January, but for the most part it is over. It was a good season as the highlights included a 12-point Red Stag, and an 8 point whitetail. If someone reads this and by some miracle resurrects the RT forums I can be contacted at [email protected]. Merry Christmas and Happy Hunting everyone!

Congrats Frank!  I don't have anything to report.  I've seen a lot of deer but nothing I want to put a tag on yet.  I have an doe permit for one of the WMA's I hunt that is good until Jan. 7.  I'm going to do my level best to fill it this weekend.  

I can't upload pictures either.  Not sure what's up with that.  I'll check back in later on to see if there are any other updates.  If not, its been a good run here at RT.  Hate to see the site in the state it is now but there's no sense in crying over spilt milk.  Hope you guys and gals have many more successful hunting seasons in the future. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A crazy end to my season. With only a few days left I got a call from a neighbor informing me I had an injured deer in the back yard. I looked, but there was nothing there. A couple hours later he showed up in the front yard. His hind quarters had been eaten (coyotes I assume). The 5 point 2.5 year old buck could not run, but was able to walk. To be legal I need permission from home owners within 100 yards of where I am "hunting". I called my neighbors and all agreed a mercy kill was in order. I used my crossbow and took the shot making sure it was safe. The deer walked to the neighbors and to my surprise walked right up their sidewalk and expired a couple feet from their front porch. I tagged him and spent some time cleaning the blood from the walk and removed the back straps. I seasoned then grilled them. I invited the neighbors over and we all had venison medallions for dinner.