What Would You Do?????

wishinone

You are driving down the road and find a fresh killed furbearer that was hit by a car, it is a protected animal in your state and rare to see in any state. Would you leave it to be run over by many vehicles and rot, pick it up and turn it in to the DEP where they would just check the sex and guess the age before getting rid of it, or pick it up and hope t find a legal way of keeping it?

Re: What Would You Do?????

I once told a Warden that I had a dead hawk in my freezer. His response was "I didn't hear you say that". I wound up giving it to a local college which had environmental studies. They were EXTREMELY appreciative.

Another time I turned in a dead redtail hawk to the DEC. It had a band and I got a neat certificate in the mail telling me about the history of the 25 year old hawk.

You should tell someone but be careful WHO you tell.

Ranger wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Call the game warden and tell him you found one that got hit. My buddy hit a bobcat out of season and did this. The warden told him to check it in and get a fur tag for it. It is in his freezer now, waiting to be mounted. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree......call the right people and see if ya can get a permit or something so ya can keep it!!!!!!!!good luck grin.gifgrin.gif

Guest MarylandQDMA

what is it? I was at the taxedermest a monthe ago, he had to whitetail fawns in there. the story goes like this: guy say doe get hit on road, stoped and noted the belly was moving. he new right away she was carring fawns, so he cut her open to save the fawns. well by the time he got to them both had died. he took them and called the dnr (dept. of natural recorces) and told them what happen and wanted to see about getting a permit to be able to keep and have them mounted. it was 75.00 each but the guy sheled out the cash, got the 2 permits and had them mounted.

if i may add it was cool mount.

Frank

Coming home from work last week I come over a small hill and say to myself that's the biggest dang mink I ever seen (I picked up a huge male mink not a mile from this spot two years ago) so I turn around and head back to get a better look. It turned out to be a male fisher about 10 pounds and he just had a little bit of blood coming out of its nose, no other damage to pelt at all. What a pretty animal it is.