Elk Hunting 2005 - 2006

Newarcher

I gotta tell ya, PingGuy, I have been hitting it pretty hard here. Busting up and down these mountains bugling like and idiot and nada. I haven't seen one darned Elk.

I am about to write a letter to the Georgia DNR and complain about their Elk management program! wink.gif

Wish I could get out that way and hunt some of them!

New

Re: Elk Hunting 2005 - 2006

[ QUOTE ]

I Wish I could get out that way and hunt some of them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider myself very lucky to live in Montana, with so many ooportunities just minutes from my house.

As for elk, I passed up a shot at a young bull the first morning I went out and have not gotten any other opportunities. Haven't gotten out too much, with kids football keeping me very busy. I can honestly say too, that gas prices have slowed me down. A few more days of bow season and then rifle starts on the 23rd.

whitetailtrax -- don't shoot them all before I get out there in 23 days. This waiting is killing me. Sent my box of clothes/boots/gear to the outfitter earlier this week so that I don't have to carry so much on the plane. It will be the first time back to hunt in MT since about 1970 when I came out there and hunting muledeer with my Dad (just north of Sheridan WY) little place called Decker, MT. The private property was eventually sold to a coal mining company. What a shame.

[ QUOTE ]

whitetailtrax -- don't shoot them all before I get out there in 23 days. This waiting is killing me. Sent my box of clothes/boots/gear to the outfitter earlier this week so that I don't have to carry so much on the plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine how excited you must be - it is always so much fun to explore new country and hunt different critters. I think those of us in the rockies sometimes take for granted the amazing hunting and fishing opportunities we have in our "backyards". I'm very blessed to live here!

Don't worry about me shooting them all - there are plenty to go around. Seems like it was a pretty good antler year from what I've seen so far - good spring rain provided plentiful forage for the deer and elk. I will be excited to hear how your trip goes.

Best of luck!!

Mark

Rifle season started here Monday. Wife saw 3 cows 3 calves and a bull Monday morning. The bull hung back behind the cows in the brush and she said she could see its head and antlers. This is here first year hunting and I wish she could of taken a shot. Im proud of her that she didnt. I guess they finally winded me and left. I was down the hill about 150 yards from her and the wind was blowing their way. She said they were looking in my direction andwas acting nervous. Whell after 13 years of being married I think I finally have my hunting partner that was so hard to find. cool.gif We have hunted everyday since and havent seen another. Today I told her I was aching so we stayed in wink.gif I think she needs a break. She is a nurse and not in the best of shape but she did put in 30+ mile in those 3 days and the country here is really rugged and steep.

No luck in bringing one home yet, but have had several bulls within bow range. Unfortunately the only ones that offered a good shot were spikes, and they are not legal game here. I did have one rag horn (4x4) at 15 paces, but he needed to take a couple of more steps to clear the brush when the swirling wind alerted him to my presence. Stalked a bedded 5x5 and was almost where I wanted to be when the wind betrayed me again. As they say, if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all. I only had limited time to hunt during the archery season and hopefully the rifle season will be more productive. One thing I have noticed is that in the areas I hunt there is less and less bugling on the part of the elk every year and that most elk responding to the calling I do, come in silently. The one big herd bull I saw did not bugle at all, he just herded his cows up over the ridge top.