Elk Season

Guest Colorado Bob

Guest Colorado Bob

Elk season is only 8 months away. Has anyone started a workout routine yet. Now is the time to get in the cardio & get those "steel" hard thighs. I started mine just after the 1st of the year. 25 minutes on the stair climber, some weight training & then another 25 minutes on the stair climber. I'm already feeling the difference.

This summer I'll do a little back packing & scouting in the high country.

To be really honest---I'm hoping that either myself or my buddy draws a bighorn sheep tag----that's the REAL motivation. But it will come in handy chasing those bulls around in the San Jauns also. grin.gifgrin.gif CB

Guest Phaseolus (BeanMan)

Re: Elk Season

Bob,

Bob, This is a great topic. Especially for the guys who come out for the RT Elk hunt this year. If you do nothing else come out in a bit of shape, it will be the difference betweeen able to hunt or being stuck to the roads. Hunting at altitude in steep terrain can be very demanding.

I pretty much exercise all year long. This time of year it is running on my lunch hour and either hiking or telemark skiing on the weekends. I do a morning strecthing routine along with some situps and pushups. Soon it will be warm enough to break out the mountain bike. I too am hoping for a sheep tag, either desert of rocky mtn. Maybe a moose tag this year, and a antelope, and a blackpowder elk, and a deer, and a...

Beanman

[ QUOTE ]

Bob,

Bob, This is a great topic. Especially for the guys who come out for the RT Elk hunt this year. If you do nothing else come out in a bit of shape, it will be the difference betweeen able to hunt or being stuck to the roads. Hunting at altitude in steep terrain can be very demanding.

I pretty much exercise all year long. This time of year it is running on my lunch hour and either hiking or telemark skiing on the weekends. I do a morning strecthing routine along with some situps and pushups. Soon it will be warm enough to break out the mountain bike. I too am hoping for a sheep tag, either desert of rocky mtn. Maybe a moose tag this year, and a antelope, and a blackpowder elk, and a deer, and a...

Beanman

[/ QUOTE ]

We hunt in CO every year, either for elk or muleys. I killed my first mule deer at about 12,000 feet. It was only a doe but we hunted hard for 5 days on our own and hiked about 2000 vertical feet avery morning. That year we did not see any bucks. But the year after I killed my first buck, he only scored about 140 but I couldn't complain, he was my first buck with a bow!!!! Whiteriver National Forest is where we hunt. Do you know where the good elk herds are there?

I get in shape only about 2 months before hand. Because, going from sea level to the high country, my lungs won't let my legs get tired, it usually takes a couple of days to acclimate.

We have a place in Beaver Creek and see massive muleys up on the ski hill every summer, but when hunting season hits, they disapear!!!!

What is the RT elk hunt?

Yeah...I work out anyway...but have really increased the work out on my stairmaster. Not sure if it will help with the altitude thing though. Don't care either......if I have to crawl...I'm am still coming up there to hunt with everyone in October. cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Guest Colorado Bob

Rossman-----Those of us over 50 have to start a little early than a couple months before the season. I've hunted Basalt Mtn, Red Table Mtn, Reudi Reservoir---all the the White Forest. Quite a few elk up there. You may want to try Mauroon Creek just outside Aspen. Saw alot elk there on a sheep hunt-----Rough Country----backpack hunt. CB

Guest huntinglad

speaking of colorado elk .. has anyone seen how there is gonna be an extra season this year in the San Luis Valley? the bull season is from may 15 to july 31 and the cow season from Aug. 15 to Dec. 31?