Air Conditioner help??

Swamphunter

I am having a problem with my Sears Kenmore Central Air unit. The air conditioner will kick on, run for just a minute or so and then kick off. When it does that, it does not even feel like it is blowing cool air. I have called them but of course being the weekend, I don't expect to see nayone before Monday or Tuesday. Anyone have any ideas what it could be??

Re: Air Conditioner help??

Could also be a dirty thermostat.

Try cleaning the thing out entirely and see if that helps.

Ice would be my 2nd guess. If its freezing up then the ice is tricking your thermostat into thinking its already cold enough and be keep the condenser from kicking on.

Guest Rudy507

Also try resetting your thermostat. If it's a newer one, you should be able to just pull it out of the wall - and unplug it. Let it sit unplugged for about 2 minutes, then plug it back in.

Guest PAT_PATTERSON

Ken also check the condensate pan under your blower unit. If it's full of water and not draining, they normally have a float switch that will cut off your unit to keep it from over flowing. These drains get stopped up from time to time from algae build up.

Just someting else to check....

I agree with them about checking your breaker and resetting your thermostat, but another thing you might try. . .and as stupid as this sounds, something very similar to this happened to my Grama a year or so ago. . .take the top of and clean it a 'lil bit. That worked for her. I don't know. . .its so simple. . .but it can cause some big problems sometimes.

Guest lobsterman

might not apply here, but could it be in

energy saver mode...my ac will kick in for a min. and then kick out when in that mode....

This AC unit is less than a year old and spotless inside. Also it has been in the 80's and low 90's here all week with no rain. I think any water in the pan would have evaporated. Also the AC unit has not been ran all day so should not be froze up. I am going to reset the thermostat and try that. I'll let ya's know.

Not to say your house is unclean or anything but even a new AC will draw dust in threw the intake and can cause issues.

The pan can fill very quickly on humid days too if its plugged. I mean in a matter of minutes on real humid days.

All the suggestions here should get you going; if not its time for the repair shop at Sears...

Swamp it may be a stater switch on the outside unit that is going out.

If the outside unit is running it could be your blower fan motor on the inside unit...

Just an idea...

Good Luck...Hope you get it fixed soon...

Sears guy showed up and here is the verdict....

Circuit board in the furnace caught fire and burned up. All charred inside. He said that for some reason, it drew too many amps and burned up. They are going to order a circuit board and find out what caused this. The furnace is a Carrier and the AC unit is a Kenmore.

• 15 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...