I want to cry! EVERYBODY knows my honeyhole.

WaCoyote

This summer I found a spot that had so much elk sign that I couldn't believe it. I did a lot of scoutng to find this place and watched it all year while grouse and bear hunting. I've been there many many times and have NEVER seen another hunter there. I thought that this season was going to be the year I tag a nice elk.

On opening day we get there about an hour before sunlight and see not one, not two, but 6 trucks parked there. This is a long walk in so I figure they may have went somewhere different but as we get into out area we start seeing hunters. 10-15 minutes after shooting time starts guns are going off everywhere around us. I hear a guy yell "they're coming down the draw!" Thats where we were!! All of the sudden we hear an elk right in front of us!!! We can smell him too. He meandered around 50 yards or so in front of us but we never saw him it was just to thick. I started creeping up the ridge that leads to a bowl and that turd somehow got above me silently and then crashed off. I was only about 35 yds at this point and still never saw him. Talk about smart. These things put deer to shame! We looked all day for him but he took off.

So my "private" honeyhole is known to everybody in Washington. There were at least two raghorns taken that morning and when I talked to one guy who got one of them he confirmed the elk that came to us was a giant 6X6 or 6X7. He also thought HE was the only one who knew about this spot!!

I couldn't believe it. I've been sick all week. I went back up after some snow but the elk had all left and there were hunters footprints and ATV tracks EVERYWHERE. No elk sign at all!!

Even though I was so disappointed, this was one of the most exciting hunts I have ever been on. I guess I'll just keep searching!!

Sorry for the long post I needed to vent. Maybe I'll get drawn for a spring bear tag. Theres tons of them early in the season too!!!

Re: I want to cry! EVERYBODY knows my honeyhole.

[ QUOTE ]

I try to figure out his escape route

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know his escape route. I'm a tenth of a mile off of the Indian Reservation and thats exactly where they go. It's a big no no to go there, but thats where they mainly hang out in this particular area.