elk camp question

Guest yarddog

Guest yarddog

yes i would like to know if any one has ever used a kerosene heater to heat there tent we used a wood stove to heat with this year but we thought about using a kerosene heater next year alot less to pack and no wood to cut once we get there. we camp at about 9600 feet and was wondering if that would affect how tha heater would work.

Guest yarddog

Re: elk camp question

well to explain a little better, we dont go out and scout in the summer as it is a 1500 mile trip one way. we cut our wood when we got there this year and were lucky it was dry but if it was raining and the wood was wet we would have been in trouble or we would have to go off the mountain and pay the $6 for a arm load at walmart. we use kero heaters to heat homes and out buildings around here and they do fine the one i have uses about 2 gals in 24 hours so 7 days hunting would be 14 gals still less weight then our stove and chain saw and saw gas and splitter.but my big concern was at 9600 feet would it work or would it affect it.

ps at deer camp we place a ham on top of the kero heater before we leave in the morning and when we get back in the evening dinner is done.

Re: elk camp question

Can you drive right to your camp or do you have to pack in? If you can drive to it I figure you should be ok as long as you take some precautions. 2 Washington hunters died this fall to asphyxiation (sp)

Just make sure you have a way to vent it good so the same doesn't happen to you. On another note though if you don't go and scout in the summer, how do you know whre to hunt when you get there? Just curious. Anyway best of luck to ya and vent that thing if your going to use it.