Scouting


woodsman2230

Recommended Posts

Hey guys I want to get an early start for this upcoming archery season because I need to be able to get some good footage of deer for the video I am trying to make. What should I be looking for as far as sign goes to get an idea of where to set up my stands? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris,

I like to locate hot food sources during the summer. I'm from Pennsylvania as well so I'm guessing you are probably close to some apple orchards. I must know close to a hundred different apple orchards in my hunting areas. I like to have a wide-variety of areas so I can spread out my clients and the more areas I know of the more shooter bucks I will locate.

You might also want to get close to some agricultural food sources. Deer really key on these places consistently.

It really depends on the type of terrain you are hunting to whether food sources will be really effective or not.

In big country, the deer are harder to pattern because the food is really spread out. That is why I like to hunt over apples because they really draw in deer consistently.

In woodlots and small wooded areas, you can get away with focusing on travel routes between bedding and feeding areas. Bedding areas and feeding areas will be easier to find due to lack of terrain.

All in all, it really depends on your hunting areas. I hope this helps you!

Stephen Sherk---Sherk's Guide Service

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.