Day Hunt Question

kbart

Have you ever paid to go on a day hunt. If so I have a few questions:

What type of hunt did you go on. (Ex Exotics, Whitetail, Hogs)

What did you like about it. (Ex good lodge, plentiful game,)

What did you not like about it. (Ex lodge not clean, rude outfitters)

Any information would be greatly appreciated. We are trying to take a poll and would like to get positive and negative feedback.

Thanks,

Keith

Welcome to the Realtree forums.

I merged all your repeat threads into this one, since this is the best place to ask your question.

I've only been on one paid hunt, and that was for wild hogs in Tennessee. I enjoyed myself a lot, because I got to get together with friends from this web-sight. That alone made it all worth while.

I was a bit anxious, and should have waited longer before taking a hog, because there were some real brutes there, that I found afterward.

I was very happy with the hog I did get though, inspite of my anxiousness.

It was a high-fenced hunt, unguided, and fun. In North America, wild hogs belong behind a fence, IMO.

There was plenty of hogs, but if you wanted a nice one, you had to work for it.

In the past I've day leased for whitetails and for doves. I was pretty careful to investigate the setup before I paid my money. None of my trips included lodging or meals, so I can't help you there, but the hunting was always at least fair and was occasionally excellent. And it's an economical way for someone with only a limited amount of time to get into some quality hunting.

What are you talking about? What kind of hunt, etc. I have paid for several "day hunts" and have had good and bad experiences.....what are you thinking of hunting and maybe we could give you better advice. I can say I would never pay for a "day hunt" for big game......well maybe bears ;-) but there are way to many variables...for a "day hunt" I would expect some results, which when dealing with grouse, ducks, geese, pheasants, and predators, can be fairly predicable. I think even hogs can be "guaranteed" but for fair chase, big game...ie....deer, moose, antelope, etc.....I would not go for a day hunt....IMHO:

Give us some idea of what you are thinking and it may give you a better answer.

T

I'm not planning on going on one. We are doing research for a group that has plans to open a high fenced hunting operation in the state of Oklahoma. It is going to be a big game operation. If you have been on a hunt we are asking what you liked about it and what you didn't. The group want's to make sure and do there homework before taking on this venture. This group have been hunting for over 20 years and know what they like or what they would want from a day hunt. They just want to see if its the same across the board. Any input would be appreciated

Thanks,

Keith

an interesting concept

I would think that like any other business quality would be the key. If for this day hunt it is going to include a meal or meals then quantity and quality are required along with a clean lodge. The same would be true for the game being hunted, both quantity and quality come to mind again. In order for it to work properly I would assume the hunters would need to arrive the night before and spend at least one night so that they could be out hunting at first light. Possibly at the end of their day of hunting, they would have dinner with the hunters arriving for the next days hunt and enjoy the camaraderie before heading for home. With big game it becomes a numbers game. Just how many hunters per day and per week would one expect to be able to accommodate and have sufficient numbers of animals to maintain a continual harvest. Then comes the issue of meat and trophy care. It is hard to believe that you could maintain reasonable prices if you had to limit the number of hunters so that the game being hunted is not depleted. Still an interesting concept.