Need Butcher problem advice/comments

camomanbg

:mad:Okay, I shot my elk last Tuesday and brought the quarters and other meat down to the nearest butcher. The guy made a good first impression, but when I went to pick up my meat two days later, I was short an entire loin (backstrap). I told him to cut both into 1/3 chunks, but when I was packing my cooler, I only found 3. The guys insisted that they must have mislabeled the packages, but I knew that wasn't the case. I got home and went through every package and I don't have any more loin. He knocked $20 bucks off the $107 butchering price, still charged me for my $40 worth of dry ice and apologized. I am pretty sick over the whole deal, I'm missing half of what I think is the best part to eat. What would you guys do? I've been thinking of writing him a letter asking for loin, since he assured me they don't lose any meat, it should be in the freezer at the end of the season right? Maybe telling him that I will use this forum as well as others to post my story, with the name and address of where I took it. I was at the mercy of this guy, because I'm a non-res and I had to get back. Had I lived there, I would have stayed around and unpacked all my meat and then waited around for him to find it. I'm sure it got wrapped as someone elses and now I am out of a loin, and I'd hate to take someone elses, but I worked **** hard for that backstrap and I want it. Any suggestions or comments?:mad:

That's a bummer for sure, but my advice is to let it go. Your backstrap is gone and like you said, you can't take someone elses because they worked just as hard as you did and it's not fair to them. The guy gave a partial refund and an apology, which is probably more than some butchers I've met in the past. It's up to you whether or not you want to drag his name through the mud, but I think I would take the high road on this. You never have to use him again and let your family and friends know so they don't make the same mistake. Do you mind me asking what state you were in?

Not at all, I was in Colorado, hunted in Unit 55, and brought my meat to Gunnison! I'll leave it at that. I posted this on the Primos forum as well, and I'm surprised that most guys said to leave it alone. I figured that the ones that hunt in Colorado would at least PM me and ask me so that they didn't make the same mistake, but that hasn't been the case. I am not a malicious person, I don't like being mean, but this really made me mad, and I just wanted to save some of you guys from making the same mistake. Like I probably said in my orignal post, I believe the guy who owns it is a decent guy, I just think he had an incompetant butcher working for him, and slacked on the QC. Oh well, it just sucks because I looked forward to cooking up some backstraps at parties, and now I don't have enough to spread it out, it's going to be a one time thing, and some of my closest friends will inevitably miss out on it. Good luck this season, be careful what you do with your meat if you are travelling, I learned a very valuable lesson.

That sucks man. And i understand your frustration. Out old butcher would was the worst. you never got your deer. I would send in a smaller doe for some tender meat and come out with bigger back straps trimmed down to look smaller. I asked him and he denighed it but had others tell me they felt the same thing. luckly im good with a nife and have time and the place to butcher my own game now. I agree with others though and drop it. Just try not to let it eat at ya

I had used the same butcher for many many years. The order was always right and I was happy even though I felt he charged too much. Two years in a row he lost part of my order and didn't cut the straps like I asked. He left them in the chop, I like them boned & cut thick.

I do it myself now. Sick of being ripped off for something I really look forward to and work hard for.

You ask what to do. Well, what can you do? Nothing. He got you. I don't know what you think you can do because the way I see it the answer is nothing. Believe me I know EXACTLY how you feel but I'd just chalk it up to experience. He's probably already forgotten you anyways.

Buy the way. That REALLY SUCKS! Sorry to hear it.

HAHA, I have to laugh, that guy didn't forget me...........I made quite a racket in there, we had the butcher and the guys son out in the parking lot looking through my packages of meat. The guy was shaking mad at his butcher, and uttering something about how he was glad he took is BP meds that morning. I'm over it for now, at least until I get home and take some meat out for tomorrow night and have to dig past my lonely three packs of loin. I still have about 8 deer loins to cook up before October!

Not too much you can do, except complain, (which you already have), and if his explanation isn't good enough, then find a different butcher next year.

I had a butcher lose half of my pepperoni one time, but he owned up to it right away, and gave me the other half for nothing. Apparently they lost it on the smokehouse floor. :o:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Not too much you can do, except complain, (which you already have), and if his explanation isn't good enough, then find a different butcher next year.

I had a butcher lose half of my pepperoni one time, but he owned up to it right away, and gave me the other half for nothing. Apparently they lost it on the smokehouse floor. :o:rolleyes:

"owned up to it"??? is that guy nuts...:D. most would have picked it up off the smokehouse floor....:eek:. sounds like a butcher you need to keep doing business with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dropped off a doe at a different place in Gunnison on Saturday. While there I overheard several hunters talking to the deer cutter about the place you took your meat to get cut. Sounded like shorting hunters and having leftover meat intheir freezers was pretty common for that outfit. Sorry that happened to you. I only hope the pllace I took mine in North Gunnison is the real deal and I get all my meagre meat.