Takin a kid hunting

silvertip_co

Since Elkatraz4 seems to be dead for lack of interest and there's no Realtree Colo Elk hunt this year, and next fall's RT Hunt is for stickthrowers, I decided I would take a kid R.I.F.L.E. hunting. He's 8th grade, big successful mulie hunter with his mom. But mom's afraid of takin him cow elk hunting. (elk too big maybe?)So I volunteered to do it. Gonna help him sight in so he dont miss, then I took a weekend off to hunt with him in his season. Figgered it was a good way to scout for my OTC bull while I was out there. If nothin else it'll get me in some kind of shape for our own elk and mulie hunts the following two weeks. Gee maybe after I guide him and guide my wife to her mulie I'll apply for a CO guide license and retire into oblivion :) .

Figgered it was a good way to scout for my OTC bull while I was out there. If nothin else it'll get me in some kind of shape for our own elk and mulie hunts the following two weeks.

You know, more than anything it simply seems like an incredibly kind thing to do for a kid who enjoys hunting!

Good for you for helping him out! :)

Guest Trapper243

Good for you if more people would take the time to help kids run the woods.There'd be alot less parents running the roads looking for there kids.

My son who is now 13 is gonna be a reck of a bear guide once he gets to be legal age to hunt here in NS.Until then he's happy juts to be perched above me on stand and helping me with the clients we have.Great job getting the kids involved.

We had a great time finding Wolcott Colo and meeting the teen and him mom. He's a great guy and a good shooter. His Win 70 308 was off a foot to the left so the trip was worth it to sight in, he dont want to be missing any elk. He wants to be a full time guide as he lives near Piney Valley Ranch and has met Tred Barta and Dan Harrison numerous times.

I cant wait til Oct 13 to get in them hills again.

October is a wonderful rifle kinda month.

We had a great time. Seen a doe and three coyotes on Sat. Seen 9" snow on Sun. On Mon afternoon I put the lad on a 6x6 and two other bulls and 40( yeah he counted em) cow elk. In Spite of his rifle being finely tuned at the range a f ew weeks before 'buck fever' caused him to miss the same cow three times. But he gave it his best. And we found a great new secret elk haven. It was a great hunt with a nice young man. Also found 6 mulie bucks runniong together. We'll save them for next yr.

• 2 weeks later...