Shot my first elk

Tecumseh

Well I shot my first elk in Montana monday after 5 days of heavy hunting I settled on a very big cow at 300 yrds with the 300 wsm and then the work began(LOL)it took two trips to pack her out and took her into Great Falls to be processed.The weather was a mixed bag from freezing cold at night to mild days rain a little snow and several windy days and come across grizzly bear tracks a couple of times but no encounters thank god!!!!!!!!!!!I spent the last few days trying to fill the deer tag I had, I glassed a lot but never came across anything.

I didn't get the big bull I set out for but I had a blast all in all and can't wait to do it again next year I'm going to check out the night life in Great Falls tonight and start the two day drive back home in the morning.

I was in a rush last night but Montana has 3 or 4 areas that open early for rifle Elk and Deer hunting but they are remote backcountry locations with difficult access which is what I prefer to hunt, but also means you have a long hike in.You might see an outfitter at best but the forest service told me before I went in that they had a temporary ban on pack animals due to the fire situation so I didn't see another sole for the 10 days I spent back there.It was hands down the hardest hunting I've ever done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...