My Forked Horn At Crescent Lake

...Wasn't sure if we had to post a harvest from this year, or last year...?-How recent?-This one is from 4 years ago...on Crescent Lake...on the Kenai(about 20 miles N of my house...)

-Actually was out looking for a bear up here the week before moose opener- I spotted this forked horn in my spotting scope, by accident, while day dreaming and watching the Dall rams up above move their way feeding 'cross the ridge, with the sun...had lowered the scope, and :eek:...-low and behold, I thought it was a Brownie poking my eye, filling the scope at the base of the ridge...but: it was a nice forked horn feeding in a small pond accross the meadow about 200 yards away.

-Ill make it short, gotta get dinner on the table here real soon...but I wanted to post this so I can get my sticker...:D

-NEXT WEEKEND:MOOSE OPENER(Aug 20th...)- off from work, got a babysitter...

-Hiked in early Sat morning...up about 3 miles frm the trailhead with my pack and .338...

-Beautiful, yet hot summer day...set up in the same spot...

-and SURE ENOUGH..-in the same little marshy pond at the base of the mountain...here came the tender forked horn...

-Within an hour, he was mine....one shot was all it took-was a surprisingly hard trudge through the low marsh to the kill-and then the rest of the day was spent quartering out, and hauling load after load to a low, cool spot next to lake.

-The quarters and ribs and rest of the boned-out meat chilled real well through the bags, that night...and I called a pilot friend on the satellite phone to possibly do a pick up for the meat, as to not have to pack multiple heavy loads back the 3 miles to the trailhead.

-He was busy, but did come down to the lake to meet me at the end of the day...and he even gave me a flight back , which was so nice...so I wouldn't have to hike out..(@ no charge..!)

-The most amazing thing is this huge frog I encountered on my way accross the marsh, to butcher this moose...one of only 2 frogs I have seen up here, and a large one, at that!!...This was a special hunt...-Kathleen:)

scan0021-1.jpg

scan0014-1.jpg

Float planes make me swoon. Do men swoon, heck I dont know but if I ever hit the Powerball it's gonna be floatplane:) city for me. (Well heck the Lake Hood floatplane base would be good enough:D.) Anyway, back to your post, look like you had a great and successful time. Thx for posting the fotos and story.

• 2 weeks later...
Float planes make me swoon. Do men swoon, heck I dont know but if I ever hit the Powerball it's gonna be floatplane:) city for me. (Well heck the Lake Hood floatplane base would be good enough:D.) Anyway, back to your post, look like you had a great and successful time. Thx for posting the fotos and story.

.....Here's a float plane for you to swoon over, Silvertip...I also have it in a thread in the lounge...but wasn't sure you would see it there...

..Isn't this a beauty?!

PICT0009.jpg